Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earliest due date at 150 days with the buck was Jan 4th. Our other doe delivered Jan 6. We're babysitting the barn cameras and figure any hour.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, it happened overnight. Not an easy birth - first two were breach and very deep. After hours of obvious labor, she was clearly stuck. I had to manipulate them around and pull. I was surprised the first was alive, the 2nd pull was a little easier but still pretty hard. 2 hours later, she squirted out a third all on her own. 2 bucklings and a doeling.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pictures will come when DH gets home, hopefully this evening.

BUT......now what? The last little guy is being rejected by mom. She stomps him, pushes him away from the other kids and I just went out to find her laying on top of him. I got mom up and brought him into the house to warm up and see if he would recover - he was gasping when she was on top of him. He drinks from the bottle -- colostrum milked from mom, has peed and is standing, trying to walk. Seems weaker and smaller than the other two.

How do I get him back in with mom, even if he's a bottle baby. I'm not concerned about feeding him, I'm just not sure how to get him back with the other goats now.

He's been in the house about an hour and a half.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My personal opinion, you're not going to get him back with mom. Not sure how close goats are to sheep, but once a sheep rejects a baby like that, they're not going to take it back. We had one ewe that headbutted her twins so hard until they died :/
Unfortunately, your kid is going to become a bottle baby, and I would advise not putting it back in with mom. She will most likely kill it. If you have another goat it might be able to live with that one, but I wouldn't count on that goat letting it nurse.
I think keep it in the house all of today (usually you would want to get it back to mom asap so the kid doesn't start smelling like you, but in this case it doesn't matter seeing as mom doesn't want it to begin with) and see how it's doing by tomorrow morning. If it's strong, maybe put it in the barn in a separate pen? Or do you have other goats that have already kidded? If so, I would just plop him in there. Watch him for the first half hour or so, make sure no one else is going to try and kill him and if all his good, he should be fine there. Check on him frequently tho to make sure he's not stuck in a corner or something trying to die lol

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@AbbySmith thanks. I have two does, the older gal had 2 on Thursday and this gal had the 3 today. I suspect because there was almost a 3 hour gap between the first two and this guy, she just wasn't interested. She did clean him off but I think it's pretty much a timing thing.

I'll try getting him into the pen with our older gal and her two and see what happens. In 2 weeks, the kids will be separated from the Moms so I can start milking, but I really don't want a house goat for 2 weeks. Rats 'n frats.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I put him back with his mother - not as a mama's boy but so he'll spend time growing with other goats. He will be a bottle baby for sure. So far, so good. I took him back to mom about noon and it's going on 5pm now with no further issues. I sat in the pen and did barn chores nearby for about an hour to make sure I could grab him back up if needed. Better pictures will come, but this is momma with her triplets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,760 Posts
Sounds like that momma just might accept it now that her trauma of having 3 is over. (That was quite an ordeal she went through.) If she permits that baby to stay around her and her other two kids then just offering it a bottle periodically is all that will be needed for those few weeks.

Nice job!

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The update is - of the 3 (2 b, 1g) - the fawn colored (late to the party) boy is a complete bottle baby, living happily with mom and his siblings but he is not eating from mom. Not a problem, we've done bottle babies before. Of the other 2, when I bring out the bottle, the girl goes back & forth between mom & the bottle, the other boy wants nothing to do with the bottle. When DH feeds, the other boy goes back & forth between mom and the bottle, and the girl wants nothing to do with the bottle. We offer a bottle to all 3, knowing that only the little fawn colored guy is truly dependent on it. No problem, we're flexible and we make sure all the tummies are round every 4 hours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts