She's Fading Fast... what to do??

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by HesterDaddy, Jan 9, 2005.

1. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

The vet came out yesterday to check on my gilt Hester, who is about one and a half years old. He believes she has a bacterial infection, but her temperature is 107. We gave her a big shot of antibiotics, but this morning she's weaker than ever... can't even lift her head to drink from a watering can. I really am skeptical she'll make it to night fall.

Now the next concern is what to do with a 630 lbs carcass? I'm not sure I want to have meat from a diseased pig butchered out, so I could use some help on ideas for disposal.

Thanks!

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about her :( I've no ideas about the carcass- a place out here does carcass removal for a fee. Did the vet try to get her fluids replaced in anyway? I'd put some electrolytes in her water and shoot some water into her mouth w/ a syringe.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

can you call the vet back?

around here, someone would dig a deep hole and roll the carcass into it. or drop it off a steep mountainside and let the wild things have it.

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Give some red cell and Karo syrup for energy. Try putting this in her mouth as often as possible. Antibiotics take 24 hours to fully get into the system so there may still be time . Otherwise how much land do you have ? The coyotes would make it go away fast this time of year.

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I hope all goes well for you and her.

If you have to deal with it, I compost my lost animals. You can google search for info. A full grown cow takes about 9 months. Many farmers are doing this with the new downer cow rules in place

I must agree with the other post. This time of year ( I live in NW WI) i would let the critters in nature take care of it.

6. HesterDaddy

Things were looking fairly grim on Sunday when I posted my plight with my pig. Hester was so weak I literally was lifting her lip and pouring water into her mouth to try and keep her hydrated and without drowning her. Midday Sunday a friend and I administered her second shot of antibiotics. Funny how a 2 inch harpoon-like needle can get a sick pick onto her feet! After much adventure and the use of a good snare, we were able to get her shot in her. She was so weak that her legs were tremblin under her weight and she quickly sank back down. 5 hours later, I discovered that when I called her she actually grunted back. I was able to give her about a quart of water from the watering can, which she actually raised her head to consume. By the time yesterday, Monday, morning rolled around, she was sitting upright, drinking water and eating a few slices of bread. We gaver her her third and final dose of antibiotics and she slept into the night. I'm expecting the results from her blood work back from the vet today to specify her condition. Overall, though it looks like my tough gal is springing back. Let's hope it stays that way!

Thanks to all for your advice and concern. I've used some of your ideas to keep her nourished and hydrated.

7. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

glad to hear that let us know what the blood work finds..

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Yay! :)

9. HesterDaddy

The bloodwork came back as a non-specific bacterial infection. The vet thinks it could be from something that came through her stall area, maybe... rat or other wildlife. Who knows. It was none of the standeard bacterial infections they test for in swine, so I supposed that's a good thing.

Hester's appetite is up... she is up... and just in time to play midwife to a BRAVE little bantam hen that holed up between Hester's hog panel and the barn siding in the overflow straw from Hester's bed area. I didn't expect babies to hatch as cold as its been but I'll be damned if on Sat. the bantam didn't emerge with 7 babies... all the eggs she had under her! I attempted to move her and the babies away from the stall area for their own safety and as soon as the hen began to screech at me for picking her up Hester, my pig, became VERY upset with me and trotted over, scaling the side of the feeding trough to see what I was doing to her pal. I set the mother down with her babies in what I thought was a safe area outside of the stall. They scratched around for awhile and the pig laid back down to sleep. In about 10 minutes the little hen led the way and she and all 7 babies made a parade into the pig stall... up the side of the pig.... across her shoulders and neck and then jumped back into their nesting area! Hester lifted her head and sniffed at them to make sure they were all in and safe and then went back to sleep. That's been the routine pretty much every day, now. I'm glad to have my good hearted gal healthy again.

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

She sounds special HD. I'm so happy that she's back to herself again.