Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, does anyone have a plan for a goat shelter...maybe for 3 goats? I will be trying to build one tomorrow and I have no experience at all building. Any plans or help appreciated.
I do have a barn for if i want to lock them up..but want a pasture shed since the plavce I will have them is away from the barn thanks

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
I have 3 wethers for the past 2 winters. The first winter when they were less than a year old I built them a 3 sided shelter about 4' x 5' against my garage. This winter I built them a 3 sided one about 4' x 8 because that's what my materials allowed.

They never spent a single night in it until we started getting -20 F at night. Before that they sleep on the wasted hay next to the round bale.

Just give them a dry place to lie down out of the wind and rain and they should be fine.

What state are you in?

·
Registered
266 Posts
http://www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html

I made something similar. Only the back and 3/4 of the front are solid. The only advice I have if you build one of these is to anchor them to tposts that are set deep. We had 60mph winds last weekend and my poor shelter was destroyed [though I easily rebuilt it and this time anchored it]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
fishhead I am in TN
Reicheru thanks I like that plan and think it may be easy enough even for me to make. thanks

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
We made a couple large shelters (I can stand inside & clean them) for our pastures. 2x4's & shingle roofs n such. BUT, for added shelters we keep an eye in the paper for doll houses, dogloo's & the like for additional shelters. This past summer, we lucked out & picked up a homemade childs bunk with storage on the top. It was really cute, even had windows for the child to play house in. We quickly converted this to an extra goat shed, closing the windows with plexi, and adding a shingle roof. Any structure like this can be converted, and most of the work is done!
HF

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I made a hoop house out of tarps and the cattle pannels found at feed stores, you have to anchor them with a fence post, either green t or something like you would use for a chain link. With just three, one would work just fine, arch it to make the hoop. Its aprox 7 foot across, 5 foot deep and cheep.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
I don't even raise goats yet.......but I have raised lots of other things, and one of the best things one can get (and ocasionally you can find them really cheap at moving sales and classified ads) are dog kennels. I have one (powder coated) that I purchased half price at a farm store, because it was the las one and had some of the coating skinned off in a couple of places (5 minute repair with a can of spray ureathane clear coat) the 10' long 8' high pannels can normally be set up or taken down in a couple of minutes. Currently it might take a bit longer 'cause I put a board across the top, and put some sheet metal (scrap from a metal building installer) across part of it and screwed panels to all or part of three sides and made a great little shelter. I fastened the siding through the sides to a 2x4 so there are no holes in the actual pen, when ever I go back to using it that way.

I also used some regular chain link panels against my shed for a small pen. If you keep an eye out in the local paper, you can often find one for sale extremely inexpensively when people are moving, who really just want to get it out of the back yard.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
We use a chain link kennel for a jump box for the lgd's, with a tarp ontop. Doesn't work very well with the tarp, but would work very well using some of the materials you have used.
HF

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi. I am in tennessee. I was digging thru my "junk "pile tonight ..I found several whole sheets of tin and several short pieces I like the idea of the doggy kennel, if i can make it nearly as nice as what was sent to me.I also think the tunnel one would be easiest and cheapest.I have a huge tarp in my almost junk..some old rough sawn wood scraps..some of that cattle panel stuff..only I had cut it. 2 green treated posts..and several full sheets of some heavy treated plywoody stuff..4 x8 sheets and misc. this and that. couple pallets..one good shape one kinda lacking.
If hubby would just cut the pieces for me..i could screw it together. Guess i best get proficient at the saw.....
thanks for all the ideas, i appreciate it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts