Shelling Green Peas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sharon, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Sharon

Sharon Well-Known Member

Is there any "gadget" out there that makes shelling green peas not so labor intensive? I have a Mr. Pea Sheller and it works fantastic on cowpeas, but it crushes green peas. They take forever to shell for what you get. I was hoping there might be a quicker way to get the job done. Any good ideas?

2. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

Okay, so this is a smart-alecky answer... Kids. I was cheap labor for my grandmother for many years, picking and shelling peas seemingly nonstop. It is also a task that I have done with my MIL over a cup of coffee and chit-chat while the kids run the yard...

As for gadgets, nope. Not seen one...

-Joy

3. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

My grandmother had a great method. She taught it to me and I've used it tons of times through the years. It goes like this: first you look for any children around and you all sit down (preferably on the porch or patio) and listen/share stories while you all shell peas. I smile as I think back on shelling peas with my grandmother and later, shelling peas with my mother and my children. I have fond memories of family stories - often of ancestors long dead as well as about my mother and grandmother when they were growing up - told over bushels of peas. And lots of chuckles and laughs.

If there aren't any children around, then you invite a friend over to talk, sip lemonade and shell peas (or you go to her house w/ your peas). Friends get fresh peas for dinner too. I've used both methods and can highly recommend either one! It's amazing how fast the peas get done and how enjoyable the job was.

BW

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Go to Lehmans.com They have a item called a "Texas Pea Sheller" I have never use one, but I used a similar device that worked very well. You can moterize it if you like.

5. Sharon

Sharon Well-Known Member

I got my pea sheller from Lehmans. It crushes the green ones, works great on cowpeas. Oh well, I guess I'll be doing a few fresh and buying canned LeSuer Peas. :shrug: Thanks.

6. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Thats funny. I was going to say that I had never tried it on green peas, but it was great on cow peas :)

7. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

Are cow peas the same things as black eyed peas? The Texas sheller works great on black eyed peas, also.

I decided last year that I would not can peas anymore - it took all of us two days to shell enough for 20 quarts. And then they looked VERY unappetizing because of the iron in our soil - it turned the peas orange when they were processed (but they still tasted good).

Of course, now I am looking at my 5 pounds of pea seed left over from last year and contemplating it again.........so I am really praying someone has an easier way to shell them!

8. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

When I'm doing peas for the freezer I blanch them pods and all. Once blanched the shells are easily opened. Read this hint in Organic Gardening magazine years ago.

If I'm doing a small batch for a meal, I enjoy shelling them. DH cannot help pick so he will take a bucket full I've picked and shell them for me while he watches TV.

One of my earliest memories is grandma, mom and aunt sitting in lawn chairs under a shade tree shelling peas and visiting while my sister, cousin and I played nearby on a quilt. We were probably 1, 2 and 3 at the time.

9. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Another childhood pea podder here - that and top and tailing beans are some of my happiest memories with my grandmother. My children, though, eat the peas as quickly as they shell them.

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

The easiest and best way to take care of peas is to gather them all up, take them to the nearest incinerator or burning barrel and dump them in.

The sooner we rid ourselves of this most foul of vegetables the better. Peas have been terrorizing children for years. They've been ruining pot pies and casseroles for hundreds of years. They must be stopped.

Please. Think of the children. Visualize a world without peas.

Quint/bona fide pea hater

11. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Nay I say! Without peas, what would I eat with my salmon :viking:
    And shelling them is great therapy if you go about it with the right frame of mind.

12. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

There will be peas in the valley some day.
    Peas on earth, good will to men.
    May you find peas.
    We must all work towards peas.
    In times of peas, we do not think of war.
    I get a peas full, easy feeling, and I know you won't let me down.
    mmmmm peas :)

13. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

I grew my own peas..once..

After spending what seemed like an eternity shelling them, one of my Amish friends came for a visit..she said "Oh, wish I had known that you had picked those peas..we all take ours over to "so-and-so's" place..he has a machine for shelling them. Since I'm the only one in my family who even eats the things it simply wasn't worth all that effort..I gladly buy a few cans now and again.

14. leoaloha

leoaloha Well-Known Member

Imagine ---

Whirled Peas

15. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

I found this:

http://www.peasandcornco.com/pea_sheller.asp

The Amazing Electric Driven Mr. Pea Sheller™ is a new intermediate-size sheller for all garden fresh peas and beans. Shells Black-eyed, Purple Hull, Small Crowder, Cream Peas, English Peas, Sweet Peas, and "hard to shell" Lima and Butter beans. A real work saver and a pleasure to use. Very silent operation. No adjustments to make. Light enough to use in any convenient place. Shells an honest 1 ½ to 3 bushels per hour. Fully assembled and ready to use. One-year guarantee. Almost half the cost of a small commercial sheller.

Long life 1/15 horsepower, 115 volt motor. Improved roller design, steel gears, brass bearings, die cast pulleys, sturdy belt. Half-gallon container, best grade unfinished plywood frame construction. Size: 8 ½" tall x 12" wide x 19 ½" long. Weighs approximately 18 lbs. The motor is housed under the feed platform (Pulley and belt drive are not shown but are on far side of box). The Pea pan is included.

TO USE - First wash produce. Then load tray and simply feed hull ends into rollers. Peas and beans fall into pan. Lima and Butter Beans should be fed through at an angle with the thick vine end first. It may be helpful to pull some hulls on through rollers carefully from time to time.

Mr. Pea Sheller is guaranteed for one year against defects in parts and manufacturing not caused by abnormal operating practices.

Order: at $239.95 each
    Amazing Mr. Pea Sheller - Electric Driven
    Model #1:B:102B

16. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

:clap: All we are saaayyyinnggg is give peas a chance. :D