Sheepcam

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by lisarichards, Jan 5, 2005.

1. lisarichards

lisarichards Well-Known Member

Only the people on a sheep message board will really think this is cool, but Frank got our sheepcam up and running today.

It refreshes every minute.

Mack Hill Farm Sheep Cam

We have five Shetland Sheep in the yard/shed on the far left. (Leon, a wether, and four yearling ewes, Sassy, Cocoa, Jarrett, and Valentine)

We have seven Icelandic ewes in the center. (Fiona, a four year old and her yearling twins Marilyn and June, and her twin lambs Naomi and Lu. Then Kaytla, another four year old ewe and her yearling Minx.)

The pen on the far right has two rams, Raven a four year old Shetland ram and Sue, a four year old Icelandic ram.

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Ok... this is too cool. Can I post a link to it off one of my sites?

What a hoot.. sheep cam!

:)

3. lisarichards

Sure. I asked Santa for it, because I've taken on a project out of state for a few months, and I miss my sheep. But I thought I'd share. :)

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

That is cool! Is it wireless or on a cable?

5. FrankRichards

FrankRichards Well-Known Member

It's on a cable. Wireless still needs power, and the outdoor wireless ones cost like the dickens. It's a regular video surveillance camera, going into a capture card on our webserver. I _think_ I've got the cable up to high to be munched, and the 12 volts won't hurt them if I'm wrong. It's only rated for -10C, so I'm sure I'll find out what it's really good for.

Frank

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Oh dear... I can so relate to missing the sheep. Even if mine are so wild you can barely get a finger on them they're fun to hang out around. If I were working out of town I'd miss my sheep too.

But... no spouse cam?

Nah... my DH would understand if I wanted sheep cam before spouse cam too!

7. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I guess I'm going to have to check it out during the daylight hours. There wasn't much to see besides a bare bush when I looked at 10pm! Sure is dark out there though!

8. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll also have to check it out in the am! :no:

9. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I'm not the ONLY one who has to look in the morning. Was kickin' myself for being such a blonde! lol

10. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

What a cool idea! (Catherine, I was doing the blonde thing, too! :) )

11. lisarichards

The camera has infrared for night time stuff, but we've found the sheep are so well insulated that they don't show up on the camera. Plus, it only has a range of 30 feet, and to see all three sheds, we have it out farther than that. Oh well! I watched them get fed this morning. Not as much fun as feeding them myself, but better than nothing.

12. kesoaps

I wanna sheep cam!!!

I see you've got snow. They (being the weathermen) said we were to get 5 inches last night. I disagreed, as my sniffer couldn't smell it. I was right...no snow. However, it smells closer this morning!

13. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

The only thing I could think of that could possibly be cooler than this would be 4 sheep cams!! What a great idea. I NEED one. (A small yard light for night viewing?)

Dale

14. kesoaps

Oh, look! They've come closer to the camera...here, sheepie sheepie... Do you suppose if I rattle the grain can they'll come a bit closer still?

15. lisarichards

We moved
    it a little closer to see if it will show them better, with more color. It's sort of hopeless to get a view of the rams on the right, between the pallets along the fence line and the big pine tree in the yard, though.

16. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea!! I finally got home in time to see the sheep! It seems like when ever I have a few minutes to jump on here --it's too dark to see anything..They are cuties....I'll be glad when summer gets here and the days are a little longer.. Debbie

17. lisarichards

Just an update -- Frank got the sheepcam updating every six seconds, which certainly make it more fun to watch.

He also opened up the fence between the two yards on the left yesterday, so that we can get our Shetland and Icelandic girls to start to get to know one another. I want to keep one herd of girls all summer, not two. But it sure makes it more interesting to watch the cam because the opening in the fence is down closer to the camera, and they all seem to like to walk back and forth from shed to shed.

The wether we have in with the girls (Leon -- he's dark brown, horned, Shetland/Icelandic cross) is practicing moving them all around for me, it seems. His work is never done.