sheep with a fat tail

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by vulcan, Aug 23, 2006.

1. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

One of my friends is taking care of an old farmer, and his farm (50 acres) he is very good with crops, but in the barn of the farm found 5 sheeps he one of them had a fat tail, he is taking care of them but he wants to know the name of the Breed of the "fat tail" sheep. The farmer is not too much help when we asked him he said "that's Betty" poor thing he is 87 years old, no family. My firend is buying the farm and taking care of him. Do you know the name of the breed please let me know?

2. CrownPoint

CrownPoint Well-Known Member

One breed of Fat Tail sheep would be Tunis. Tunis are a medium sized sheep, red head and legs without wool on both parts. Very docile breed and used for meat/wool/milk.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

From Sheep 101:

Check the link and take a look at the photo... :p

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

5. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

not sure how this is an accurate statement ...

Karakuls in the US are direct imports of native sheep from a line brought in from Russia. When did they stop being a "true" fat tail? For that matter any of the sheep listed are imports and as "true" as any imported animal (unless they ment there are no american developed fat tails)

Regardless, the animal in question could be a karakul they are rather distinctive with a long roman nose. (of course the picture I found doesn't seem to show that much at all) Here is a "typical" pic of a karakul

[​IMG]

Tunis are somewhat similar though the base color most often seems to be red where the base on karakul is most often black (this is not hard and fast, I have black, blonde, red and broken karakuls) Their noses aren't as long as the karakul's

[​IMG]

and then the dorper that has an altogether different conformation and resembles a sheep version of a boer goat. (both south african in origin)

[​IMG]

Good luck in figuring out what the farmer has. There aren't many karakuls running about and it would be odd for him to have one but it's always possible. There's a lot of dorpers out there these days. Playing the odds would make it one of them, full or mix.

J