sheep vs. kudzu

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MELOC, Jun 6, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i am watching a show on the national geographic channel on working dogs. they are featuring a sheep dog and focussing on having the dog herd the sheep to the kudzu infested areas.

they claim that sheep love kudzu and it is a good food for them. another claim was that over a three year period, kudzu can be eradicated from an area. the sheep are focused on a particular spot for a day or three (i would guess) and return once a month.

just thought i would pass this on to anyone who has a kudzu problem and could potentially keep sheep.

any thoughts or comments?

2. Country

Country Well-Known Member

We have Kudzu here in Eastern Kentucky and the Old Timers say that goats will take care of the Kudzu problem is 2 growing seasons. I know sheep eat grass down to the roots so I imagine that is how they work their magic on it. Do goats eat the same way?
    I know Kudzu is edible even for humans so I wouldn't think it would hurt the animals.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, I would imagine sheep could get rid of kudzu. We're planning on letting some cows do that for us. I want some goats too and a few sheep would be nice! Okay, I also want a couple pigs, but so far have only convinced hubby to get the cows.

While I'm doing all this convincing the kudzu is growing by leaps and bounds! :help:

4. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Don't have kudzu here, but I know sheep will also get rid of poison ivy !

5. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

Any sheep related experience with ditch-weed?