sheep vaccines

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by tammy from wv, Mar 12, 2005.

1. tammy from wv

tammy from wv Well-Known Member

As new (and stupid) sheep owners, I am posting a question that I know you all will be able to help me with. We have had sheep in the past that we have shown for 4-H projects which had their vaccines when we purchased them but now we are anticipating having our own lambs soon. We need to know what vaccines we need to give the lambs. Is it necessary to vaccinate them for blackleg? Just need some advice. Thanks in advance.

2. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Covexin 8 is what people generally use. I use a 7 way vaccine that I get from the local feedstore for $3.50, it does up to ten sheep.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

To know for sure what you NEED to vaccinate for you need to ask your vet. The question is really way wouldn't you vaccinate for as much as you can when there's only pennies difference in cost? We use Tasvax 8 and have used Glanvac 6.

4. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

My Dr. said "covexin 8", under the skin. I did it sort of in their front arm pit where there was not any wool and not much hair. I think that medication is fairly standard from what I've read. It is fairly cheap.

5. lisarichards

lisarichards Well-Known Member

What time of the year do you vaccinate? Before or after lambing?

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Ideally they should have their second shot (if you're starting from unvacinated) 2 weeks before they lamb, or their single booster 2 weeks before they lamb, so the colostrum has an antibody boost.