Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good "treat" for sheep? I have a babydoll/dorset wether I am keeping in the backyard with my dogs. When I give my dogs a treat, I want to have something for my lamb. He is about 5 months old. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
You have to be careful about giving too much treat that it doesn't become the feed, (unless you use the feed) but a chunk of apple or a peice of bread isn't going to hurt.

U

·
0 Posts
a nibble of loose sheep salt, or a handfull of whole oats

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any piece of fruit (minus large pits or seeds); chunks of stale bread, melon rind, tostitos, pretzels, citrus rinds/peels, any fresh vegetable. I avoid cabbage and onion because I'm not sure about bloat problems.

I have had a spinners flock for about 8 years now and my rule is: if it doesn't have copper added (i.e. cheerios, cereals) and it falls into the category of edible, go ahead and try it. One of mine loves grapefruit, another prefers tostidos. Go figure. Feed treats for good behavior - after vetting, shearing, coming when called. Keep it limited. I feed citrus fruit rinds daily in the winter (as we eat the grapefruit, they each get a piece of rind.

Dee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts