Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Very interesting post....!

But, I'm curious, I've not seen too many sheep eat their own poop? so why don't they mix a batch into manure-tea and spray it directly on the vines or around the roots of the vines? Seems like you could accomplish many things by doing so???

·
Registered
912 Posts
Slev said:
Very interesting post....!

But, I'm curious, I've not seen too many sheep eat their own poop? so why don't they mix a batch into manure-tea and spray it directly on the vines or around the roots of the vines? Seems like you could accomplish many things by doing so???
The spray will also get the grapes thus an issue with e coli. We live about 20 miles from that test plot. That plot is close to Fetzer Wines and they only purchase organic grapes (as most wineries in the area). Spraying manure on the vines within 6 months of harvest would be against the standards.

One vineyard owner I know is trying to figure out what breed of tasty sheep will eat a cover crop that suits the sheep and vines. Then they will trellis the vines out of reach.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,653 Posts
Dorpers are pretty tasty! If they have plenty of food at ground level they probably wont reach to get the vines. A mix with clover (or another legume) would add nitrogen to the soil to benefit the grapes..

The vines could also be "fenced" off by attaching angled pieces to the trellis and running some strings or wires as a barrier. It wouldnt take much since sheep are lazy. If the sheep have ben trained to an electric fence, then a piece of masonary twine will stop them most of the time since they dont want to find out if it's "hot"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts