Sheep shearing and cut tendons

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by trublu, Sep 26, 2004.

1. trublu

trublu Member

I have shetland sheep and when they were sheared they cut one of the ewes tendons on her rear upper leg. I want to know if anyone has ever had this happen and what the outcome was. She is able to get around but cannot bear weight on it. I have a feeling it will never mend the vet thinks it might "fill in over time". It is just been about 3 weeks now.
    Does anyone have ideas for the right clippers besides the shearmaster since shetlands are so small??

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

No idea on the tendons except its going to be a long road to healing and I'm surprised the vet didn't suggest a little more, like pen rest a sling and maybe even steriods? The Shearmaster should still be OK but try a shattle comb which has more teeth so its more difficult to catch peices of your sheep in the cutting area.

3. trublu

trublu Member

Thank you for your reply! She is now up and "running". I didn keep her penned up and on penecillin and kept the wound wrapped. Also, tetanus shot. She cant put all her weight on it but gets around really good. So maybe time will improve her even more. I will make note on the blades.
    Do you think the shearmasters are too bulky? Do you have suggestions for better ones?
    I plan to take a shearing class this spring and hope to try the single speed shearmaster. I have been told they are better than the variable speed.

Thanks again.