Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sheep, goats and cattle on the same pasture. I would like to find a way to get the cattle access to a mineral block , but the sheep should not be able to access it because the copper content could be harmful. I know there are no copper mineral blocks for sheep, but the 3 cows I have consume one of the sheep blocks in 2 days...too expensive!
Any ideas?

--Thanks!

·
Dariy Calf Raiser
2,004 Posts
I would put the cows mineral in one of those cover mineral feeders that sets on the ground and has a rubber mat that the cow has to fold up to get to the minerals some have real heavy covers I do not think a goat could lift it up

I would put the goats mineral in a small feeder that has a chute added to it like a small creep feeder to small to let the cows get in

hope this helps

tjm

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't know if it's possible. While sheep (at least woolies - not as familiar with hair breeds) won't really jump to eat out of a feeder (whatever) like a goat will, they'd have no problems pushing open a flap - they're like little bulldozers and what they can't get to easily they bully their way to. What might work is to have a feeder like this with a short panel perimeter trying to take advantage of the length of the cattle's necks? Then again, I'm not all that great of 'jerry rigging', so there might be something better someone else can think of. Typically, if I want the sheep to have access to a place that I don't want the horse I just use a chain across the gate. Won't work on smaller calves but would work on grown cattle unless they're jumpers.

This problem is one I have now too and just have to keep everyone separated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts