Sheep: Profit or Not

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by CrownPoint, Sep 11, 2006.

1. CrownPoint

CrownPoint Well-Known Member

Looking to talk to current farmers raising lamb and wool commercially. If you are successful and are turning a profit please reply. I would like to call you and talk seriously about my future. I just acquired a farm and would like to go commercial with lamb production and wife would like to find a large market for wool (either commercial or handspinner clients on large scale). We have a small online retail business, farmers markets and going to start shipping lamb by Fed Ex/UPS. Any advanced advice would be appreciated.

If you do not have personal experience please do not reply or please do not offer negative counseling if you have not gievn it a LARGE SCALE TRY. I don't mean to be negative, but I know there are folks on here that like to hear themselves type :rolleyes: .

If I can contact you personally email me and leave a phone number and I will call you. This is a serious venture and we are looking to get larger in the Lamb/Wool Market.

Ron & Jennifer Siver
    Good Shepherd Farm
    http://www.goodshepherdfarm.com
    518-597-3850 days
    518-597-9850 eves
    email @ siver@crownpointkennels.com

2. jlo

jlo Active Member

I don't know what you mean by "large scale" and "commercially" but you might want to check some of the ATTRA sheep publications. Several of them would be applicable to pasture-based systems or feed-lot systems. They also have some cost analysis worksheet templates for sheep production you could review and/or try to use.

The publications are on the web at www.attra.org or their phone number is on the web and you can call and they will put together a package of all their relavant publications and mail it to you for free.

3. sellis

sellis Well-Known Member

you have a pm message frome me :nerd:

4. CrownPoint

CrownPoint Well-Known Member

Sellis, you can call my store during the day toll free and ask for Ron. Thanks for the reply. Tried your number,was busy.

Ron
    800-604-6579 days 10am-5pm EST

5. RedGeranium

RedGeranium Well-Known Member

Look for an e-mail from me!
    Tamara