sheep milk

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by susanne, May 11, 2005.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

which breed would be best for getting sheep milk? and how much milk on average would i get from one sheep?
    susanne

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Here is a link to sheep milk and such.
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=66760&highlight=sheep+milk

Most milk sheep are east friesians, or their crosses.
    Can also use Icelandic sheep,Finn sheep, Rambouillet, Romanov, St. Croix..
    You need good udders, & the right temperament .

Even had some Brecknock Hill ewes that would of made wonderful milking sheep.

Here are a couple of web sites you might want to check out.

http://www.all-animals.com/wannabe.html

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/dairysheep.html

They can give between .75 to 2lbs of milk daily.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If you want a table milk look for east freisans, its a good cheese maker too but a bit less fats and solids. It can depend on how they are fed of course! The dairy breeds have a longer lactation which is what really sets them apart from meat/wool types, but you're still only looking a 180 days

4. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I'm glad this thread came up!! I wanted to share my experience with sheep milk. It came up on a thread a while back that milking a hair breed sheep might be better as far as the lanolin taste goes. I milked my Barbado ewe a couple of weeks ago. I almost threw up in my sink. It was soooo horrible. The only way I can describe it is to mix vegetable oil with condensed milk. It left this nasty oily film on my toungue that made me sick to my stomach the rest of the day. It made me so leery I won't even try goat's milk now. Just a warning to those who have never tried the milk. Taste it before you buy the sheep!! Of course mine weren't bought for milk, it would have been a plus though.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have drunk sheeps milk straight before and no off taste at all .richer for sure but made heavenly ice cream and great cottage cheese. oh and great soap! how far in her lactation was your barby? ours were dorset,ncc, and rideau arcot

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

quailkeeper,

Am sorry you had that experience. Many things can cause off tasting milk,,
    Milking to soon after a birth, forage, eating weeds, being wormy, or having just been wormed...etc..etc..

Luckily I have always had good luck with sheep's milk when I can get it.
    It is normally a bit richer, and sweeter than cows milk,, and many people can't tell the difference.. same goes with Goat milk.

7. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

ICELANDIC SHEEP look this breedwill surprise you this is all Iamm goin to say about your question isbona

8. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I milk my Icelandics. They are wonderful and the milk is so nice and sweet. They have very little lanolin so their milk and meat is very mild. I can get 1/2 to 1 gal of milk per day depending on the ewe and where she is in her lactation. I get better results milking 3 times a day. They are however just like dairy breed cows. Some are great for home prodution but would never make it in a parlour. I would be happy to help if I can.
    Angie

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what i read so far was that sheep will give about 3 pound of milk a day for 3 month lactation time. i thought it is too much hassle for this little and not worth the time. now you are telling you get up to a gallon per day. thats alot and worth the try. do you breed this special trait in the sheep?

the husbandry certainly influences the taste of the milk. my goats milk taste very sweet no off taste what so ever.
    susanne

10. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I have selected my ewes for milking. I also think that one reason that I can get more is that I start off milking 4-5 times a day to build up production. I have 1 ewe that is very successfully feeding quads alone and have several that raise big healthy triplets. LikeI said before this is not practical in a milk parlour.
    The 3lb is average. You can do lots of things to increase prodution for a small scale that might not be feasible for 200 ewes.
    In milking several times a day I even get almost 2 quarts from a ewe lamb. It's alot of work though. At least it is not a year round thing.

11. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

She was three weeks into lactation so no colustrum or anything mixed in. She had been wormed about two months ago and was on good pasture with no weeds except blackberries (which they aren't eating now). I had really hoped to drink sheep's milk but I'm going to have to get a dexter cow now :no: .