Sheep in the trunk???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cast iron, Nov 10, 2006.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Well, I guess this is one way to transport sheep.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9WNBI_-Sc[/ame]

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Stopped to help an Old Man with a flat on a Big Black Caddy.He had the back Seat out and a bunch of Pigs in there.

Then one time had a Bread Truck coming towards me.Had a Cow looking out the back.

My Stepfather had me holding down a Calf on the back of a Hay Truck for 20 miles one time.

big rockpile

3. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Works for me.

Why put them in the trunk?

[​IMG]

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Little yellow Subaru here. We hauled everything in that too, including carcasses. So at the time I worked for this bar which had a stage and periodically hired pretty high class talent for entertainment. Unfortunately, the guy running the place rarely read the contracts, so one day we've got a plane at the airport with the talent in the plane... and they're waiting for their pickup as specified in the contract.

My boss looks at me and says "go get them." Um..

"Them" is Ricky Nelson and his entourage. Ok, sure, whatever... at the time I had no idea who "Ricky Nelson" was. So off I go in my little yellow subaru that just the day before had been stuffed to the ceiling with dead turkeys. So there are stray feathers, blood, and frankly, it smells a little funny. I put the back seat up and brush the mud off the seats.

Now, if the interior looked bad, the exterior looked way worse. Think "rust lace" for body panels. My first hint that the vehicle wasn't going to pass muster comes when I get to the airport and they direct me to drive right out onto the tarmac to meet the plane. Drive onto the tarmac? Oh yes, the plane is parked in a private space so the occupants won't get mobbed.

In Burlington VT. Yea right. But whatever. Out I go in my little yellow subaru.

Apparently the star took one look at my vehicle and ordered the plane back into the air. My boss arrived about a half hour later (apparently while the plane was arguing with traffic control) in a rented limo complete with bubbly and talked The Star into getting into the limo with many blandishments and promises of a four star hotel (we didn't have any four star hotels in VT at the time but it worked). The roadies were ordered to ride with me.

Now, we're talking men who looked like they hadn't bathed in at least as long as my car hadn't been bathed. One of them opens the car door and sticks his head in.

Promptly backs out... and they took a cab!

Shortly after this incident I found myself looking for gainful employment elsewhere...

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i use a subaru for a farm "truck" too. lay the back seat down and i can haul goats, dogs, feed, hay, sheet rock... you name it. 4wd, too. got another newer, cleaner, one for company. :rolleyes:

6. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Somebody posted long ago about the cattle rustler that used a Chevette to transport his ill gotten gain. I remember pointing out that he could just start a perfectly legal side show exhibit showing him actually getting a full grown cow in the back of a Chevette and charge $5 per head easily. I'd pay $5 to see him do it as long as he could do it without injuring the cow.

7. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

The picture reminds me of a time Ive told about before 24 ewes in a ford fairmont wagon it was the midfdle of the after noon on a thursday I didnt figger Id see a soul in my little town
    Well they musta been handing out free money just befor I got there cause I swear the whole state saw me!

8. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Hmmm nothing wrong with that. I have been hauling my citters for 30 years now in my cars. this is a Shetland pony I hauled like this for 8 years in that '67 Implala, even while I lived in the Phoenix metro area~! All over the State of AZ. as a matter of fact.
    I have hauled a calf in the back seat
    But I also haul my mini donkeys like this~! Cool :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this mini filly I hauled once to a horse show 350 miles away.
    [​IMG]

9. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

I have hauled everything in my 1990 blue suburban. (Kinda like the one pictured above.) My childern and I have hauled goats, calves, chickens, bottle lambs (23 one time) feed bags, lumber, the list just goes on and on. Because it is our only vechile and I don't want the smell in there forever,when we take out the back seat to haul, I always lay out a tarp on the floor and over the 2nd seat. Then I take an old mattress protecter and lay that on top. I haven't had any real big accidents so far, and it is realitivly easy to clean after we are done. Heck with the price of gas who really wants to have to hook up the trailer to haul things - when they can be safely transported this way!!

10. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I haul beehives in a Pontiac Vibe:)

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I guess I'm an odd person. I haul animals with a truck and a stock trailer. :)

12. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Arabian Knight -- I'm laughing about your shetland in Arizona.

I'm in Arizona, have a pack goat and haul him in a homemade wood and wire crate in the back of my pickup. The *reaction* depends on where I'm at!

In Maricopa/Hidden Valley/etc. I get offers to buy the goat. Occasionally, I also get offers to buy the crate! This happens even driving down the road, particularly around assorted holidays. They'll pull alongside me and shout offers. (The assumption is often that I'm headed to the auction with him.)

In Phoenix (usually driving up the 101/202 to the Beeline) I get people pulling up alongside the vehicle and taking pictures. Regularly. We wave back.

At gas stations and whatnot in Phoenix, I get, "What kind of cow/pony is that?" (Cowboy is around 225 pounds and has no horns, so city people not familiar with goats do have issues identifying him as a goat!) People have literally stood next to the truck and taken pictures with him.

Occasionally, I get, "Wow! Big alpine!" from GOAT people. :) But only rarely.

13. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

We haul most everything that will fit in a campershell on our Chevy. We went and picked up four Saanan goats this past Summer and stopped at a fast-food restuarant on our way home. As we were sitting in the drive-through, all the teenagers working inside came to the windows to see the goats and ask what they were. After explaining all about them, one girl asked "Do they go with you everywhere?". ;) Meanwhile the lady in the drive-through behind us got out of her car, came forward with her little lap dog and introduced him to the goats. They were very interested, but the dog wasn't sure about them...... :)
    Another time I was driving home from a friends place with a week old Nubian doeling in my lap. I stopped at Dairy Queen for a shake and the lady just kept stealing glances at the kid. Finally she looked me square in the face and said "Thats a goat"...I looked at her, smiled, and answered "I know". Thats all she said. I think she thought I was a little loopy... :shrug: :p

14. arabian knight

I remember one time I was driving the Shetland in the '67 Chevy going to work on a Andalusian Horse farm down in Elfrida between Wilcox and Douglas. And while on I-10 somebody pulled up along side of me and had a video camera on me. SO Somewhere out there Somebody has a video of Josh in the back seat of that Impala while driving South to Tucson~!.
    I worked a while there and then moved back to the Valley. I lived in Tempe right on the Mesa/Tempe Border~ I worked part time on a huge horse boarding stable. And also lived right there on the property.
    You mentioned the 101 loop. I was there Before that was built and was driving my Shetland in a open Field, then 4 years later that open field became the 101. I was between Broadway well really not that far south, as the Railroad tracks was the property line, and Apache Boulevard and between the 101 loop and the irrigation canal that split Mesa with Tempe..... 16 Acres right there in the middle of the metro area and we had over 125 boarding horses.~! And NOW that same place is Condos~! No horse barns left, or in this case they were green houses~! made into horse boarding stalls.

15. lunagardens

lunagardens Well-Known Member

I recently (september) hauled my 2 girls to the breeder in the cargo area of my saturn vue and our 3 kids in the back seat. We have carried the kid goats in our laps and on the front floorboard of the passenger seat. Here is our saanen cross girl enjoying her view:
    [​IMG]
    and my mischevious nubian one who was nibbling my daughters hair so she would pay attention to her:
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully we thought ahead & bought the rubber heavy duty cargo mat when we purchased my vehicle. We also had them add a trailer hitch but its of no use when you have no trailer.
    ~Tammie

16. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

A few years ago we had a house pet "Millie" a runt boar doe that loved to ride in the van. Once while at the drive thru at the bank the teller sends a doggie treat back with our transaction and says what kind of dog do you have?....at that exact time Millie says Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and the teller about freeked out....lol she didn't know what to say..... I told her Millie just said thanks for the treat!

17. arabian knight

When I lived in AZ. I joined the Southwest Llama Association.
    The first meeting I went to people were coming in vans and would bring their Llama's in that back seat of the van. I just told myself, "Self I am going to get along just fine with these people"
    And now as a few miniature horses are now being trained and are being used as seeing eye guide animals.

http://www.guidehorse.org/
    You may see more being transported in cars and such. And these then are also kept in the house and are housebroken, So IF I even get on the ball here and write my book I may have some people interested in it.
    As I have been housebreaking horses now for close to 30 years. I will just title the book "How To Housebreak Your Horse"