Sheep in damp pasture

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by cmonkey, Aug 19, 2006.

1. cmonkey

cmonkey Well-Known Member

We have red clay. Thirty feet of red clay. Woe. When it's been dry for a week or so, the ground is generally dry-ish, though not so much that you can't dig in it. But when it rains! We can have squishy wet soil for weeks if we don't get dry spells occasionally.

I'd like to have a sheep or two on my mowing team, but I know liver flukes are an issue with wet ground. Someone told me Romneys can handle it; is that true? Surely there's a breed that developed on wet soils and is resistant... right? :confused:

2. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

Foot problems too in wet soil, that is the worst.

3. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    I would try a swampy breed if you have rain alot but if your rainy season does not last a while extra managment practices can be taken and you can keep a variety of breeds. Providing them with a dry barn would help alot. Sheep, and other animals for that matter, do not like to lay down and chew thier cud on wet ground so even a high drained pile of dirt with a roof over it is suitable. Also puting a large grade on your pasture could drain off alot of the water before it could seep into the ground.

4. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Hi to a fellow Wisconsinite (cheesehead:)),

In addition to Romneys, Lincolns (feet), also do fine on wet ground.
    I would still deworm with a product that treats/prevents liver flukes.
    If you are looking for any lambs, we have some gorgeous Lincoln and Lincoln crosses available for sale too :)

Deb

eieio@smallbytes.net

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Lincoln do well on damp? Hmm good, I wouldn't mind Lincs. I find black hoofed critters have more resistance to rot than the white feet but undoubtably there are exceptions.

6. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Ours have held up very well under wet soaking pasture conditions and they have the dark hooves. I have also heard that about black hooves . Back when we had a few horses, I asked my farrier about that too. He said he didn't always find that held true, but I have found that with the horses as well as the sheep.....there are always the exceptions.