Sheep impregnating a goat?????

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Hawkfamily, May 11, 2006.

1. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

One of our female goats appears to be either late in pregnancy or with an infection of some sort in the uterine region.
    We don't have male goats - we do have a male sheep and he very likely did breed with our goat girls back in December when he broke through the fence on two occasions.
    My vet says that it is not possible for impregnation to have occurred, although some research I have done says otherwise. I suppose, though, that some sort of freaky pregnancy occurred and that there is a nasty infection that has happened.
    The other piece, that we thought was unrelated, is that she has been limping on her back leg for a month or two now, and doesn't seem to be responding to our foot care/treatment. So, I am thinking that all of it is related now.
    Any thoughts on this or similar experience??
    jodi

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Well, I've no clue how to help with the lameness, although pregnancy shouldn't be a cause.

However, since your vet wasn't aware that sheep can impregnate a goat, maybe you'll want to search the area for a more experienced vet?

3. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard of this happening before, but have never believed it. :shrug:
    If your goats delivers a kib/lamb/?, please post a pic. :angel:
    I would be VERY interested.
    Thanks.
    veme

4. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I keep hearing conflicting reports about whether goat/sheep crossings are probable. I wonder if it has to do with the breeds of the animals? My friend has run a male goat with his goat/sheep flock for many years and has never had a "geep" occur! Keep us posted please!

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Usually the fetus is absorbed/aborted. Very unusuall for one to be born, though it means missing a breeding if doe/sheep gets bred then aborts. There was a pic of a geep/shoat in my bio book last year.

6. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Here are some pictures off google.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These crosses are officially called chimera's, nicknamed after the Grecian mythical animal. It is highly rare for a chimera to be carried full term and if they are they are usually still born or die shortly after. But there have been some cases where the animal lived but was sterile; these living crosses are more common in hair sheep. Could she also be halving a false pregnancy? One way to tell if it is a uterine infection is to get down there and smell her. Peel apart the lips of her vulva and if you smell rotting then you have something going on there. Usually if the swelling is so bad that it is similar to a pregnancy the animal will get septic and run a fever. If she doesn't have any of those then I would say it's either a chimera or a false pregnancy.

I would definatly find a better vet, one that likes sheep and goats.

7. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

If two different types of animals produce VIABLE, FERTILE offspring, then they are of the same species--

our taxonomy puts horses and donkeys together, but the offspring are not able to reproduce,( rarely) technically making them different species. Taxonominsts ahve put sheeop as OVINE while goats are CAPRINE Same "family" different species.
    The adult Chimera is very pretty will have to find it for myself!!

8. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Did anyone read about that polar grizzle hybrid the hunter shot in Alaska. This is the first case that has happened in the wild.

9. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

I have an update - we went to the vet. (I actually quite liked him, although he still maintains that these two species CAN NOT create viable beings).
    The goat is not pregnant, but has come into milk. I had no idea that goats can produce milk without being pregnant!!! Apparently, according to the vet, they are the only mammal who do. The increase of good pasture grass over the past week or two has brought her milk in!!! That is what the swelling in the lower abdomen is - and he was certainly able to get milk from her! Craziness!
    The lameness in her foot was completely unrelated and requires some penicillin.

I am so relieved that she isn't pregnant, so sorry, folks, I can't keep you posted on our little shoat beings.....lol
    There isn't going to be ANY!! regardless of whether it is possible or not.....
    Thanks for your inputs and your interest!
    jodi