Sheep illness

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Leslie, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Some of our ewes have come down with a cough. The ewes that are still pregnant have temps of about 104.3. The others are between 101 and 103.3. They have been seen by the vet and he treated the feverish ewes with antibotics.....two rounds. No real change for better or worse. Any help here would be great. Thanks, Leslie

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

What were the two rounds of antibiotics specifically? I'd be guessing at LA200 with only two injections. Might be time to try a drug like Naxel. You can use a human (or horse) expectorant in a drench to help clear the lungs too.

3. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

It was Excenel both times. 3 ml once a day for 5 days. He also gave them one shot before he left of a different antibiotic. I am blanking on its name. Begins with a T. Hurt them like heck. My vet is a nice guy but new to me. And while he is a big animal vet not many people out here have sheep. After two rounds and no change I am getting worried. Also, both of my bred ewes are HUGE. One has twinned before. The other is a first time mom but is herself a twin. They should be due in the next 3 weeks.

4. Ross

Well from this board I've learned that Excenel and Naxcel are the same thing so we're no further ahead there. The "T" drug might have been Tetracycline (which is what LA200 is) but I've no idea why the vet would use both. So have you considered lungworm? Or perhaps the diet is causing some aspirated crud to cause the cough and even a re-occuring fever. You've done the right thing to bring in a vet so I hope these two ideas are worth discussing with him.

5. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

It was Tetracycline. He actually only used it on the second go around. His reasoning was the two antibiotics together killed a broader range of infection. I don't know about diet being the cause. They've had the same diet for a long time without problem. Lungworm though???? Is there a test?

Thanks,
    Leslie

6. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Also, do pregnant ewes run a higher temperature than unbred ewes?

Thanks,
    Leslie

7. Ross

I'm not sure if there is a there is a test or not. Do they have some accumulated (dried) mucus around their noses? (working from memory here) I beleive that is how they are spread and that is what would be tested. When were they wormed last and with what? I suggested diet because they are pregnant and fast losigng stomach capacity with growing lambs pushing against it. If there were any fines in the feed they could be coughing on that. The fever might not be related to the cough but I wouldn't assume it. 104.3 is high-ish but I can't find a reference to "normal" temperature for a pregnant ewe. How do they act? Eating well or are they depressed looking?