Sheep for Sheepdogs

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Hello. I was wondering if anyone could reccommend a good breed of sheep for us to raise for training our Border Collie. We live in north Texas (hot), have 100 acres and horses. We only want a very small flock. Prefer something fairly low maintenance, but prefer a breed that we would enjoy looking at, working with and being around. It would be an added bonus if it was a breed that has wool that we could possibly sell, or has lambs that would be easy to market. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Many places and areas are different. Check with people in your area a see what they raise, and what is working in their area.

They may sell you some of their flock, or tell you where you could find some.

Some of the best advice could be where you live, among your neighbors.

bumpus

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You'd have to set a priority after sheepdog training. Whats most important, wool sales, lamb sales or low maitenance? Asking your neighbors will get their priorities in sheep and it is good advice but you could ask them what breeds do not work well in your area instead.. I'd avoid the aggresive breeds, North County Cheviots are the only ones to defy the dog here. I'd suggest good old Dorsets but they are a little higher mait than some and the wool is only average. They do work very well as a flocking animal. Hampshires are bigger, and might be a good choice too. Our Suffolks were always a little independant, the Polypays are much like Dorsets only a tad better all round. We have Arcotts you'll probably not see in your area too. The Rideau Arcott might be a good choice too if you can find them. Much better wool and an all round easy to handle animal.

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Our production group is high on the Dorper sheep. They eat just about everything that grows in the ground and survive most temps well. The folks we met recently also raise border collies.