Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
You are too danged handy. First a wash tub, now this.

Do you think a squeeze panel that hinged at the top would have been just as effective? Is the idea that you lean into it to steady the animal?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bottom is 10" wide, and our Barbados don't have any trouble trotting through. The "squeeze" panel is hinged from the bottom, with chains at the top to latch over hooks so it's adjustable for size, keeping the animal immobile. The triangle to the left is a gate that swings to close the chute. The squeeze panel is just long enough to hold one sheep at a time.

I tried to make the chute constrictive enough to keep the animals from getting excited and hurting themselves.

We've only used it once for it's intended purpose, and found we needed to slide a board behind the front sheep to keep the next one from trying to bolt through when we opened the gate/released the squeeze panel. I'll put up some pictures with sheep in it.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
That's awesome!!
Hey now, I know some of those girls!!:happy2:
Everyone looks wonderful, and I really do think you need to make the plans for this available....:)

Reactions: bergere

·
Registered
725 Posts
Looks nice. We use an old cattle headgate and chute that we shrunk in height and width to handle sheep. We have a horizontal board across the headgate that keeps the sheep from lifting their heads and escaping :) It's amazing how thin a sheep really is inside a chute.

Looking forward to hearing some long term results with the squeeze instead of headgate. Looks easy to build and probably effective. Only change I would do is cut the height way down. Our chute is only waist high and we have never had any escapees, and it is so easy to work when you can just step over the rail to handle the animals.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
The Knack

In August, 2000 I got a sound file via e-mail. It sounds much better (including dramatic background music) than it reads, but in order for search engines to find this piece, here's the transcription:
Doctor: "It's worse than I feared."
Mother: "What is it?"
Doctor: "I'm afraid your son has ... the Knack."
Mother: "The knack?"
Doctor: "The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude."
Mother:
"Can he lead a normal life?"
Doctor: "No. He'll be an engineer."
Mother:
"Oh, no! [crying]"
Doctor: "There, there. Don't blame yourself."

http://home.pcisys.net/~tbc/hacks/knack.htm

·
Registered
434 Posts
Love this! Well, now that you figured it out going along, you'll have to back-track and make plans for the rest of us LOL! Truly, I'd really like to get something like this going. Usually, I have my dog hold them to me in a corner so I can grab and flip into a sit against my legs for this and that, but don't like to do it with pregnant girls etc. I'd love to have something like that on wheels that I can move to different paddocks, too :)

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love this! Well, now that you figured it out going along, you'll have to back-track and make plans for the rest of us LOL! Truly, I'd really like to get something like this going. Usually, I have my dog hold them to me in a corner so I can grab and flip into a sit against my legs for this and that, but don't like to do it with pregnant girls etc. I'd love to have something like that on wheels that I can move to different paddocks, too :)
Don't know how to do plans that I could upload, but I'll take a couple more pictures of the pertinent areas and add some dimensions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts