sheep carding!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Enique, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Enique

Enique New Member

I got to card my first sheep this weekend for show, i didn't show her, but i found the experience fullfilling! Does anybody know anything about spinning. I was curious what the average cost for a spinning wheel is etc.

2. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

I've looked at getting a spinning wheel. Traditional spinning wheel's run from 300 and up. If you find anything cheaper please let me know.

3. Enique

Enique New Member

Thats not as expensive as i expected, but i found out that a good freind acctually has one!

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I have a Majacraft Saxony spinning wheel and have been spinning,, humm.. lets see for.... 9 years now?? Can never keep track, but it has been awhile. Just love spinning, as there is no wrong way to do it!! Very peaceful and loads of fun to boot!!

What I did to find the perfect wheel, was to go to a shop(S) that have a few different kinds of wheels,, and try them all out.
    I kept coming back to the Majacraft Saxony which is a double treadle, sealed barings, super smooth, very easy to spin slowly (or fast if you want) and I find the double treadle much easier to control.

This web site has a lot of spinning shops and most have many types of wheels to try and or buy. :sing:
    http://www.majacraft.co.nz/dealers/dealers.html

Not sure the cost of spinning wheels now, but my Majacraft cost me think $520.00. Now, I take into account this is a very good quality wheel and will last me a long time.

5. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

I have a Babe, pvc spinning wheel which I really like. I just saw the following post on Spin-Sales for an Ashford.

"I have an ashford traditional spinning wheel for sale, it is light maple color, right now it has a Jumbo flyer that is on it and this has 3 bobbins, I also have the original flyer that also has 3 bobbins. In addition to the wheel I have a arched tension lazy kate that has a cute heart cut out. The wheel is a little older but spins very smoothly, it would make a wonderful first wheel or a back-up. The wheel holds it's tension very well. I live in NH and would prefere not to ship as I honestly do not know how I would box it all without taking it all apart, I will travel and / or meet partway. I will also throw in a bunch of assorted fibers, Top merino, angora, buffalo, hemp, silk, alpaca. If interested let me know.............Oh the price sorry :) $200.00"

6. shellsfibers

shellsfibers New Member

I spin- Daily- and make socks, sell yarns - and I am thoroughly hooked on wool and natural fibers. If I ever get the chance I want a farm- but for now I spin...
    I have currently 3 wheels.. a Ashford Traditional that is new, one that is from the 70's, and a Mjacraft Rose. I am currently working on paying off yet another one LOL.
    Spinning is a passion of mine. ( I am a total fiber addict!)

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I just asked about carding drums, spinning wheels and weaving looms on the craft board. I would love to heard more about your wheels, looms and drums! Any ideas, thought or just your humble opinions. Thanks Queen Bee

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My wife has an Ashford Traveller double tredal, three looms she's never used (one is probably just a parts loom) a Fricke table top drum carder with a fine and a coarse set of drums, and the large powered Patrick Greene picker and carder. Ebay often has deals on this stuff, but there are a lot of cheap eastern European wheels on there I'd be careful of.

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I bought my Ashford Traditional for under $200 about 3 years ago on ebay. I'd never spun before, but can't seem to quit now!

You may want to search yahoo groups to see if you can find any spinning groups in your area. They should be able to help you try out and locate a wheel that fits your needs.

10. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I got my ashford traditional a week ago and have been spinning 4 or 5 hours a day. I just love it. Now I am hooked on the copper moose on e-bay. I have done shetland wool, and corriedale wool. I got my wheel used for 200.00 from a spinning guild member here in town. Check your local spinning guild for used wheels. My friend raises jacob sheep and she just got her wheel also. Now we want to learn how to process the wool she has. This is a craft that you will love.