Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheep Breeds that yield fattest carcass? looking for the pig of the sheep world, does anyone know which breeds of lamb will generally have the most fat on them when butchered? all other things being equal and the sheep have unlimited access to food. i like lots of fat on my meat. I got katahdin for shedding and supposed parasite resistance but am now worried that they may be two lean, the breed doesn't have to shed but is there one that has best of both worlds reasonably parasite resistant and produces a nice fatty carcass or are those opposing traits? i had heard that southdown are pretty fatty and the fat tailed sheep maybe? but they are hard to come by, any help is much appreciated, thanks

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,221 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Southdowns are very small so even if fatty will not yield a lot but would probably be my third choice. They are also easy to handle.
I'd be looking at Oxford as first, then Hampshire. Britain was known for it's fatty hogs so also have most of the fatty sheep breeds.
Fat tail sheep store their fat in the tail. Some breeds up to 20% of their weight. I don't believe the carcass is very fatty though.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Suffolk are the closest thing we have to a commercial sheep that has been bred for things like carcass traits and rate of gain. Fat on a sheep comes from milk from the dam, so a terminal sire crossed on a milky dam is a good way to go. Dorset ewe crossed to a suffolk ram makes the sheep equivalent of a black baldy cow. Sometimes you can run into lambing issues with such a cross, however, so if you do a dorset ram to suffolk ewes you will get the hybrid vigor with less potential for lambing issues, but you lose some milk from not having a dorset ewe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok, thanks all, alot of different answers, i considered dorper, i assume it varries from herd to herd but keep hearing they dont have good parasite resistance, i want to worm as litte as possible and am using rotational grazing at the moment and keeping barn as clean as possible to help manage, ill check into the other breeds mentioned thanks, i did find a paper/ article "Fat content of heavy-weight lamb carcasses of several breeds and crosses" google that and should come up, thats why i thought southdown because they were fattiest in that group i dont necessarily care about carcass size, more interested in quality, if they are small ill just raise a few more

update: with what im seeing here and reading, im thinking that maybe i want a down breed or possibly dorset cross for fat and hardiness, the oxford is supposed to be a hampshire and southdown cross? and i was thinking try to get american southdown maybe? supposed to fair bit bigger, the down breeds do look a bit more stocky, more pig shaped if nothing else,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts