Sheep and Tetanus

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by landlord, Sep 19, 2004.

1. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

I had problems with tetanus on a castrated lamb and had to learn the hard way to vaccinate sheep for tetanus. Horses can carry tetanus and sheep can get this virus through an open wound just as people can. Sheep can be more vulnerable to it. This tetanus virus will harbor in the soil.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yup horses are the vector and the virus stays viable pretty much forever in the soil. I'd think most combination vaccines are going to cover tetnus. Were you able to save the wethered lamb?

3. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

I was not able to save the wethered lamb. The lamb was in a pasture about 35 miles away at a sis' home and they had not a clue what to look for. I did take it to the vet when they called but he was beyond saving. Head was tossed and muscle contractions had set in. I did give it antibiotics immediately when I first saw it.

4. kit

kit Well-Known Member

What are the symptoms? We vacinate and have yet to see it - but what would you actually see or would you require a postmortum to confirm it? Also, I didn't think antibiotics actually help - thought if they had it there wasn't much you could do - is that correct?