sheep and goats

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by backachersfarm, Jul 18, 2005.

1. backachersfarm

backachersfarm Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me any reasons to not run sheep and goats together? How about the rams and billies? I also posted this to the goat thread. Thanks
    Sharon

2. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Sheep and goats have different nutritional requirements, specifically copper. Too much copper will kill sheep. I personally would not run them together because they can and do crossbreed. The fetus will be aborted but it will cause you to lose a lambing. A friend of mine had that problem running sheep and goats. She had registered Nubians and barbados. The ram would breed her nannies and they would abort. Then it just started all over.

3. backachersfarm

backachersfarm Well-Known Member

I was aware of the copper thing. Although the mineral bag says sheep and goat on it. I didn't plan to run the billies and rams with the girls anyway. We always keep them separated except for the 6 weeks in the fall. We only feed during lambing time and a few weeks afterwards. the rest of the time they are on grass.

Sharon

4. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

If your just running the nannies and ewes together, Then i see no problem. We run our ewes with our cows in the summer. Havnt had anything happen yet....
    AJ

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

We've got our ewes out with some doelings, so obviously no breeding troubles. Our salt mineral is also labeled for both goat and sheep, and the goats get fed their grain treat up on top of a platform where the sheep can't get to it. So far everyone is doing well, and one of our ewe lambs is picking up some goat like behavior (she's super friendly!)