Sheep and goats

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Rob30, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

What are the differences with keeping sheep compared to goats. I have a herd of 40 boer goats. I know I have to take the mineral block out. It has copper in it. Are their minerals that I can give to goats and sheep? What should I watch for? What else should I do?

2. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I know where I'm at they have a combination sheep/goat mineral, but there's no copper in it and so you may need to give copper to the goats. Because of that reason we finally got rid of all the goats and now we just have the sheep.
    If you have your sheep and goats eating in a competitive feeding situation, if the goats have horns, then we did have some trouble, especially with our ram, of using those horns and catching sheep in the sides and chest with them or hooking one of their legs. No one got hurt, thank goodness, but sure made my hubby angry.
    What's nice, at least about our sheep, is that they're not always looking for a way out and pretty much stay where we put them.
    We raise Hampshires and I will say that they are a lot easier on fences, are generally quieter, they don't need their hooves trimmed near as often, the ram is a sweet heart (although I know some that aren't), but we do have more trouble with the sheep making pigs of themselves at the feeding trough unlike the goats.
    In the summer the sheep don't tolerate the heat quite as well as the goats. We had a fan going on them when it got up over 95.
    I don't know about anyone else, but we have had trouble with our sheep grazing in the same spot over and over until the grass is almost gone, the goats don't tend to do that, so sheep definitely benefit from rotation. Our goats grazed everything down evenly, our sheep have big circles everywhere where they graze. From the air our whole pasture probably resembles crop circles! LOL

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Goats get a 3 way vacine and sheep make good use of 6 or 8 way vacines. Slightly more work to care for, they really benefit from quick action concerning health issues. Varies alot with breed. Sheep can become copper deficient and its a nasty thing to get diagnosed. Last one I heard of was in Central Ontario, your probably 150 miles due north of where it was maybe NW slightly. 150 miles can be a lot in Ontario or nothing at all. Ask your vet about local conditions maybe your sheep would need copper! But I really doubt it. Goats are more aggresive towards sheep than sheep to goats. The BC and I can move hundreds of sheep by our selves too easily (well for me) goats would present a problem.

4. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Many years ago when we were first thinking about getting into sheep we talked to a man that he and his dad had been raising sheep for many years and he told me that sheep get dieitis. He said that one sheep will lay down and die and 2 or 3 others will look at that one and go "good idea" and they'll lay down and die too. After all these years I've never forgotten that.
    Our vet said that as long as the sheep is standing you might be able to help it, but he told me that as soon as it goes down I can save my money and not call him and just go in and get the rifle.
    Those two statements have made me somewhat paranoid, if I see a sheep that's acting different from the rest I have to find out why and treat it.
    You gotta love em!