Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 goats and I am going to get 3 sheep, can I keep them together? I understand about the feed/mineral issue, and will feed them both sheep ration.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I run two goats with 25 or so sheep. The only issues I've run into is the fact that you need very good fencing with goats (I use electric). Also the goats are very pushy and will dominate the feed. As for mineral requirements I too only feed salts rated for sheep and then dose the goats occasionally with a mineral paste that contains more copper. Best wishes!

·
Registered
411 Posts
yep, we keep our goats and sheep together, very happily, and have never had an issue. They got along very well and the baby lambs LOVE jumping around and playing with the goats.
Just do your grain feeding separately (yes, for the copper issue). And I second the fencing comment above - goats are amazing escape artists and they will force you to be on top of any fencing issues you might have(and will likely create their own fencing issues, if you currently don't have any).
(the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, for some reason...).
Good luck with it! Enjoy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts