Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am so confused. 10x20 shed I'm finishing out for a home office. There will be no water or plumbing in it just office space. In NC so seldom snow. For the roof since it has a storage loft there will be no attic
no unless you count that little triangle space where the flat section of the ceiling will cover. But the roof vents are below that. And since I am sealing up every little crack and insulating should I cover those vents? I had planned to use rolled insulation between the rafters. I've seen where some people use baffles but then the rafters are too shallow for the roll. I really don't want to have to go and install extension pieces on every rafter. There is a ridge vent. That's covered with some kind of black paper. Will that have air flow? Do I need to punch holes in it? Sorry for the stupid questions but I just don't know. The roof itself is metal.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Looks to me like you have vents, so what is your question?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I leave those vents open? Won't that just let all the air conditioning or heat go right out?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Insulate the shed as well as you can afford, and make little doors to cover the vents up. That way you can open them up when you want and air the place out. If you aren't cooking, or bathing there, there won't be much moisture build up to worry about.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I have a 12c16 lofted barn building.
I will tell you the correct way to do just as a cathedral ceiling.
Baffles and some kind of vents to feed air up for each cavity through the ridge vent for air flow.
Otherwise black mold.
Seen it too many times.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 12c16 lofted barn building.
I will tell you the correct way to do just as a cathedral ceiling.
Baffles and some kind of vents to feed air up for each cavity through the ridge vent for air flow.
Otherwise black mold.
Seen it too many times.
is the ridge vent open if it has the black paper? or do I need to remove the paper?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts
Is that a free standing AC unit? If so, it will generate condensation that has to be removed. What is the plan for that?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that a free standing AC unit? If so, it will generate condensation that has to be removed. What is the plan for that?
it is a ac/heat/dehumidifier that vents out the window. it dehumidifies and there is a collection pan to empty.

·
42,267 Posts
My answers are influenced by my Texas location and construction experience. :) Humidity promotes mold and mildew.

Monitor the moisture level. You will be breathing in there and exhaling a lot of moisture.

There must some air intake so that the ridge vent will work correctly. I am wondering if you are sealing the door opening, or if that will provide adequate air flow.

·
42,267 Posts
What if you used foam sheet insulation instead of batts? That way you’d have space for the baffle.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
is the ridge vent open if it has the black paper? or do I need to remove the paper?
That's not a ridge vent, it's a vapor diffusion vent. It's meant to stop air flow, while letting water vapor pass through the felt paper. Don't remove the paper unless you know it's not adequately removing the moisture and you really do need to vent air. And even if you do need some air flow, I would leave the felt paper in place and add small vents in the gable ends above the insulation, which I assume will be in the flat part of the ceiling.

These guys have very well researched info on most any building topic you want:

Reactions: Hiro

·
42,267 Posts
Interesting. I learned something!!

She said there is not going to be a flat ceiling.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
I can't imagine having an open to the roof building in NC. I would think it would get pretty hot inside, even running an ac unit and fans.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you have soffit vents, then you want to use baffles, so the air can flow from the soffits to the ridge vent. Then you can just cover up the end gable vents when you want to run your a/c. If the batts are too thick, you can tear them in half lengthwise, or you could use rigid insulation as Alice suggests.

If you don't have soffit vents, then your only source of air inflow are the end gable vents. If that were the case, I would put a flat ceiling across the whole shed and lay the batt insulation on top of it. That gives you an "attic", which I know you said you don't want, but will keep the building way cooler.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Do not put insulation of any kind in contact with roof sheathing without ventilation from eve to ridge vent or an attic with the proper ventilation above that.
Vaulted or cathedral ceilings have specific requirements and there is no wiggle room around it.
After 35 years doing this I've been there
Done that
Seen it.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
Do not put insulation of any kind in contact with roof sheathing without ventilation from eve to ridge vent or an attic with the proper ventilation above that.
Vaulted or cathedral ceilings have specific requirements and there is no wiggle room around it.
After 35 years doing this I've been there
Done that
Seen it.
How would someone look up the information on closing in or insulating a roof like the one in the post? What search terms would you use?

I think I understand what you mean but I'm having a hard time visualizing it and don't know what terms to use to search for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts