Shearing machine

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Polly in NNY, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

We are looking to get a shearing machine or shearers. As we increase our flock numbers and others are asking my son to shear for them, obviously the electric clippers that have served us the last few years are no longer doing the job. Anyone know where we could locate a used machine?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'll ask the Wool co-op when I go there this week. They have used equipment from time to time. If you can find one a cable drive machine is a lot easier to use than electric clippers.

3. Polly in NNY

Thanks Ross, I'm also going to post this on a couple of listserves that I have recently gained access to. Hope I can locate something or my shearer ( read 18 year old son) might go on strike.

4. Polly in NNY

Ross, did you have any luck at the Wool Co-op?
    Anyone have any experience with Heiniger equipment? I can get a new single speed machine, pin drive for $875. I think this is a great buy, any other opinions?

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yes I has up there Saturday. Sorry!!! (this spring is going by like a blurr) They didn't have any used equipment but I left my name with the store and with Cathy, who's husband shears sheep and comes across stuff too. Great people, just wished they lived closer! I have a Heineger handheld unit (motor in the handpeice) and while I liked my older Sunbeams power this one is OK and a better fit. The Heineger shaft or cable drive units do seem to be an excellent outfit. I drooled over one when I was up. Your price seems about the same as ours (after converting currency) I will say a shaft driven shearing machine is far easier to use than the clippers. Even my old one is a great time saver.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Oh, goodness,, and here I was thinking of the Wallace and Gromit Video
    "the Close Shave", and their washing Shearing machine for sheep. :eek:

7. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Would that it were that easy! Dump the sheep in, out comes a sweater! :haha:

-Sarah J
    (who broke down and bought a set of electric shears for her one sheep this year)