She sure doesn't look pregnant!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Mar 25, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I finally started shearing. Lambs aren't due for a bit, mid April at the earliest. Sheared a ewe who won't be two until July. Last year she was in the pasture with everyone else, and the ram's owner kept putting off picking him up. She came in season while he was here...at 4 months! I saw him mount her once, so made sure he was gone within the week. Too late, she was bred.

So this year I'm thinking she should be a snap to breed, right? But she doesn't look too bred to me! Then again, after taking off all that wool she looks downright trim...maybe it's an optical illussion? I guess she could be an early May due date...would her tummy be looking pudgy by now if we had that long to wait? Man, I wish I could give her an ept :haha:

2. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

That's the way it always seems to go with my yearling ewes. They always end up being pregnant when I don't want them too, even though we've kept the ram away from them for what I thought was long enough. Last year, I had a yearling who I had kept seperate from the ram. Had her sheared in the spring, she didn't look pregnant. But sure enough, later part of April she dropped a lamb. She had it outside in the wind and obviously didn't know what to do with it. I think it might have been a weak lamb to begin with. This year we're hoping she'll do better. Becky

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You can get her scanned if you like. I have an ultrasunic preg checker calibrated for sheep, and it was better at findign pregnant ewes than the live image scanner my vet used to compare!! That said nothign beats patience

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Wow, Ross, I'd love to try that scanner of yours...so generous of you to offer to come on down to WA and test her for me :haha: (Patience is a virtue...patience is a virtue....)