Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted 6/10/21 3:57 A.M. CDST

Last Saturday the handle broke on the 1960s era toilet here and the only way to flush was to remove the lid and lift the part of the arm in the tank to raise the flush flap.

To solve the issue , in about 20 minutes I removed the broken flush handle arm, attached the flapper valve chain to a insulated wire loop, fed it out the square handle mount hole and used a dry rot hardened drilled wine fermentor thumper jug rubber plug to run the wire through to keep it from tangling in the tank as the wire works like a pull flush chain on an old overhead toilet tank.

While impressed how I fixed it so fast after her middle of the night potty run, when I remarked the next morningthat my hillbilly engineered pull chain could work until whenever I remembered to go to the plumbing supply, she said "No you don't. I will take the broke handle by the plumbing supply and get you one the next time I come up."

She ended her admonishment to me by reminding me of when back in the 1980s and she was doing the driving in my truck because I had stepped on a board with 3 or 4 nails in it at her father's barn and had her use a circular saw to cut the board so I could take the nails through my foot with me to the ER.

After they got my boot , board and nails out of my foot and she took me back to her house , she broke the inside pot metal door handle on the driver's side so we both slid out the bench on the passenger side.

When her brother came home and followed us to my house, I told her I would fix the door handle and not to worry about it.

That week while still on armpit crutches, I epoxied a light grey file handle onto a bolt with the same thread as the screw that held the door pull handle , sat in a patio chair and put my file handle and bolt temporary handle in place that I used the 2 more years we were together back then.

Almost 40 years later the temporary handle is still there and she is still looking for an affordable proper handle and when she mentions it , I say it still works.

I laughed yesterday when she said although she admitted my always clicking fix it brain impresses her and she so seldom drives my old farm /generator . sleeper truck that the home made door handle doesn't bother her anymore, she has no desire to take part in cleaning out my house when my toes are curled and I am room temperature in 20 years or so and see that wire pull chain on my crapper when I paid $5 for the broken handle on her toilet at the plumbing supply store.

When I said "But both hillbilly engineering fixed worked ", she said "But your cheap and lazy" and I said "I'm not cheap when it comes to you and I ain't lazy because I fix most everything within a hour after letting my mind click for a bit. "

We both grinned like mules eating in a saw brier patch as she decided our exchange counted as a small fight but enough of one for some making up before I got enough sleep to fix the throne proper tomorrow after she gets home from work early to get her dog , stop to get the part and come up here to let her dog run with mine for a few hours. :)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
We used to refer to such impromptu fixes with available materials at hand by a term which has since been amended to satisfy the trend to political correctness--AfricanAmerican rigging. The original term was more alliterative.

Dad bought a new Dodge in 1952. By '57 the trunk handle had disintegrated. He wedged a short section of 3" diameter tree branch between the trunk lid and the bumper and it served well until he finally bought another car in '62. ....In '58, the off side rear door handle failed. That was an exciting ride as I was leaning on the door at the time with my head out the window as it swung open around a corner with me hanging on. Dad wasn't paying much attention and it took 4 blocks before he noticed I was flapping in the wind with legs dangling out there....I fixed that myself with a short section of wooden dowel wedged from the door handle to the gap between the rear seat and door frame....From then on, I made my younger brother sit on that side.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
I think creative engineers aren't fully appreciated. When I duct taped the headlights into place, and bungeed the front bumper onto our '63 Bug, my daughter refused to be seen riding in our car. The second she saw a human, she'd duck down so no one could see her.

Mon

·
Registered
10,331 Posts
My husband is a MacGyver genius at improvisation and fixing things on-the-fly. Many are hugely successful but others not so much, but at least they last a while. This is why I keep a shopping list for items like "new toilet handle" to be bought at some point in the future for when the fix expires or I get tired of jiggling the wire.

He is known for keeping everything which his co-workers never could understand (he had plenty of room at his lab) until they each needed something completely obscure or something that would have cost them a fortune. After 20 years everyone knew to just ask him if he had whatever or knew where to get it. Our house has limited storage but he has his happy piles of never-throw-away items still.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
My wife asked me this morning if I could cut a shipping container in half lengthwise, and make two swimming pools. I know, I know, I am blessed to have such a practical and resourceful wife. I had never considered doing this, but now she has got me thinking. First I need a .....................

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
My wife asked me this morning if I could cut a shipping container in half lengthwise, and make two swimming pools. I know, I know, I am blessed to have such a practical and resourceful wife. I had never considered doing this, but now she has got me thinking. First I need a .....................
This could be fun.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts

That is easy just cut in half and then paint the inside with that plastic truck bed lining stuff... Remember pics or it didn't happen.:)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
How extravagant & decadent....Nobody needs two swimming pools.

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
his and hers

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Even better.... line them up end to end, after you cut them in half, then at the ends put a large pipe between them so they are connected and you can swim back and forth between the two halves.

Did I mention my DH considers "projects" a bad word in our house.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
So, there is some concern with the chlorine and the truck liner reacting.

New approach....Find a pool liner lay it out over the edges, along the top edge of the cut shipping container, get some of the plastic timbers and run a bolt through the board, shipping container through a regular treated board on the outside. Bolt them together to hold the pool liner place. Then top it off with a 2x8 so you can sit on the edge and hang your feet in or line it with potted plants. Yep, definitely doable:)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Have used galvanized metal stock water tanks for a pool many times :) A couple of times I let the stock still use it for drinking. That container idea sounds real interesting. A bit of welding on the door end of many of them and it would be good to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts