She leaves sunday!!! YEHAW!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Nov 25, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

The bully is outta here. I am so done. I know some said that you need the bully to teach manners but I have to say I don't think she is teaching manners. She will be eating at one end of the barn (the area is 16x42) eating her hay and just look at the OTHER end of the barn at the others eating and will just run over there and knock em outta the way then chase them all over the barn. All the while the others are screaming and bleating like "Oh goodness get her off she's gonna kill me!" It makes me so mad. I could see if they were actually doing something wrong but they aren't. One was looking out the gate at me and the bully came up from behind and rammed her butt up off the ground and knocked it to the side and then rammed until she took her head out and ran around. I think she just likes to be mean. The lady was nice enough AFTER I bought her to tell me that oh yeah she is like that and really watch her till she's 3 months bred as she can get really viscious! Not enough to harm your kids but just watch her. She did tell me she was the herd queen but my other one wasn't ANYTHING like this. This is just terrible. I told the guy who's taking her she's just too mean on my girls and they are in a barn and I can't have that in my barn. It might be different if they were in a pasture but I can't take it in t he barn. He said he wasn't too worried about it. I am trading him her and some $ for 3 saanens. It just can't be any worse than she is right now.

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I'm glad you got her out of there. I won't have that in my barn. They can cause other does to abort if they hit hard enough, and some of them really do. Sometimes if it's just a new goat thing, I place obstacles around. I have a small barn and have put boards across at angles temporarily so the bully can't get a good run and the others can just dodge around the obstacles. After a while, they get along OK. But with a big barn or a truly determined bully, that would be a problem I wouldn't put up with either. After all, goats are supposed to be fun!

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

LOL. I can relate. I won't keep a mean animal.

You should know however, tht goats have a natural pecking order, and with her gone, another one will rise to be the new queen. The trick is in getting a queen who is dominant but not a relentles bully.

If you consistently get rid of the mean/aggressive animals, especially bucks you eventually end up with a herd in which life is very peaceful and the bad dispositions have been bred out. Also avoid ever using any buck (even an outside one) who is mean, or keeping a son from him. There have been a few exceptions, but as a rule, if an animal is truly evil, I cull the entire line from my herd. I cannot enjoy keeping goats when I have to put up with that kind of behavior!

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Well glad to hear that your girls will get to sleep easy.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I sold a beautiful Boer goat for that very reason. She was the only goat in the herd with horns and she let the others know it. She put a big welt on the side of a Nubian doe and I caught her flipping another Nubian to the ground. I disbudded her daughter and grandaughter. I still have the granddaughter wno can get bossy, but does not try to harm the other goats. I now have only one goat with horns (a Nigerian Dwarf) and will probably sell her when she has her next doeling. By disbudding, I keep agressiveness to a minimum in my herd. You haven't said whether or not your goat had horns. If she did, that may have been part of the problem. I have one dehorned La Manch-Boer-Spanish cross who was very spoiled as a baby (I bottle fed her and took her to work with me when I worked on a farm) and is the herd queen, but the only time she seems too aggressive with the others is if I'm leading another doe and she gets jealous. She wants mama all to herself. Otherwise she gets along just fine, is a good mother and makes lots of milk.

6. Goat Freak

Our herd queen Queenie is like that, if I am rubbing another goat she will beat them up then look at me and thrust her head under my hand so I can rub HER. But we did not have her as a baby, as a matter of fact we have only had her for about 6 months, and she has ALWAYS been this way with us, she is just a sweetheart, yours sounds like one too. Well, See ya.

7. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Yeah we had a queen before her and it was nothing like this. We are getting 3 more goats on sunday and she will be leaving and it's a good thing as all these are bred and I would NOT be happy if she caused them to abort. I'm worried about my nubian as she is just 6 weeks although she now sticks up to her. But Daisy just gets them right in the gut. MAKES ME CRAZY!! Less than 24 hrs to go!! YIPPEEE!!!!

8. Goat Freak

Good Luck, and in the goats case, Good Redence! LOL. See ya, bye.

9. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

I sold the bossy, horned goat from my herd today too. She wasn't terrible in the bully department, but there were too many young does and ewes in the pen to enjoy her antics. We recently put tennis balls on her horns and that really toned her down. She went to a good home where she is the only goat, but she has horses and dogs for company

10. Goat Freak

Well Eunice, sounds like she is in a good place, and that EVERYONE can enjoy life in the pasture now!

11. chamoisee

"Our herd queen Queenie is like that, if I am rubbing another goat she will beat them up"

It is good herd manners for you to acknowledge the queen first and give her due attention and petting before any of the others when you enter teh pen. Doing otherwise slights her and makes it seem like the doe who is being favored is trying to take her place. Goats are very concious of social order.

I could say the same thing about feeding and milking- never, ever, feed or milk a lower goat first- the queen should always be first, and the others in order also. You can punish her for retaliation while you are there, but when you leave, she will be sure to put the "offending doe" back in her place!

12. Goat Freak

I quess that I wasn't clear, I DO give her attention first, because she is ALWA
    YS The first one there, but when I try to give another goat a pat or two she just can't stand it, and she beats them up. I think that she just loves us a little bit more than what the other goats like, but she is a VERY good queen, she even lets the babies play on her when she is laying down.

13. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Oh, I've had a few of those girls. Trouble is...Someone has to be the queen, so when you remove her, another will take her place.

14. chamoisee

Yeah, some are just jealous. :) Some of them remind me of my children....:p They'll be off playign happily, but if one comes and sits on my lap, pretty soon I'm beign mobbed by all 5 of them pushing and shoving! eek!