Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little goat, that was returned to me in such bad shape, just isn't going to make it. We have been treating the founder situation, but the bones are nearly out the bottom of one foot. Apparently they will never return to the normal position and she will always be in pain. I am not willing to have her live her life that way. She bleats constantly and is just so needy. I have been up with her several times in the night, each night since she was returned to me. She is completely a different goat since she has been back

Frankly, I just can't have her here anymore. She is teaching the rest of the herd to call constantly and I can't have that. Because of her condition, I can't send her anywhere. No experienced goat person would take her and she would die a slow death in the hands of an unexperienced person. So tommorrow she is going to the butcher. :Bawling: I don't like it, but I don't have much of a choice.

This is why you don't give a Nigerian Drawf 1+ gallon of sweet feed every day! :flame:
[/IMG]

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I'm sorry. I've only seen founder in horses, and it's a terrible, terrible thing.

You're doing the right thing for her - it's not fair to let her suffer.

It's making me think that I should print up a little pamphlet on basic goat care to go with any that I sell.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
pookshollow said:
I'm sorry. I've only seen founder in horses, and it's a terrible, terrible thing.

It's making me think that I should print up a little pamphlet on basic goat care to go with any that I sell.

pook, that sounds like an excellent idea!

poor goat, she looks like a sweetheart. I agree that putting her out of missery is the best way sometimes.

·
Registered
732 Posts
pookshollow said:

The lady that i got my goats from does that! It's really helpful to newbies!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am so sorry for both you and your beautiful goat. I am an inexperienced keeper, and I am finding this forum to be a god send. We had to learn unaided such things as hoof trimming from diagrams on the internet. Not exactly good, but no other way. We would willingly have paid to learn, like a workshop scenario, but no courses. Direct contact with experienced goat keepers is simply the best. A pamphlet is a fantastic idea, simple, and has to be effective at overting this and other kinds of problem.
Again so so sorry for you both. Wish I could help.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,668 Posts
A gallon + a day? Oh, my. I'm so sorry for the poor goat and for you. Putting her down is the right decision. Sigh. Wish it didn't have to be this way, though. ((hugs))

NeHi

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
You are doing the right thing. Others might chose to pass her off to someone else or take her to the auction in order to spare their own feelings rather than have the goat put down or butchered. Love her til the end and then say a sweet goodbye knowing you are a good goat mommy when it counts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the dead is done. The butcher has the goat. Both me and my 3 year old cried half way home. Really silly on my behalf..we eat our animals often. I guess I just get attached when I have spent so much time working with one. Which is why I gave the meat to a friend. Knew I couldn't eat it.

My three year old kept saying "Holly, needs me. Holly, needs our family. We don't get rid of family" It was an awful experience..

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
You made the right decision for her. It's hard on you but it's still the right thing to do for her.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
awwww bless that babys heart! I hope some day your little one can understand. Seems like we can reason it out, but making our little ones understand is so hard sometimes.
Hang in there, you did good.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
My children are all adults now and thank me for the life lessons they learned on the farm. They were born in the city and I moved them to the country in elementary school. Now they speak of how much more well rounded they are and how they understand life and death and birth and where food really comes from. What is sad is "real". Without pain there is no joy. Your child will grow up to be a fine individual because of what you do when a tragic situation occurs and the tough but merciful choices you make.

·
SarahJoy [loves her farm]
264 Posts
I'm still a teen. I thank God my parents moved me out here after fourth grade. I meet with girls from my elementary days and I can't believe I could have turned out like them. With my farm I learn every important lesson life has I learn love, struggle, joy, peace, friendship, how to work hard for what you believe in and want and most importantly to trust the Lord in all I do. My friend moved here about a month after I did and her sister was an eighth grader I can tell she has more influence from the city but my friend is a great girl.

You tried all you could for this doe. She's not in pain anymore and shes frolicking in heaven.

Feral Nature said:
My children are all adults now and thank me for the life lessons they learned on the farm. They were born in the city and I moved them to the country in elementary school. Now they speak of how much more well rounded they are and how they understand life and death and birth and where food really comes from. What is sad is "real". Without pain there is no joy. Your child will grow up to be a fine individual because of what you do when a tragic situation occurs and the tough but merciful choices you make.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Back in November I had a doe kind of do the same thing. Her face was half paralyzed, tongue sticking out of her mouth. Seemed like she was blind just like stood there dazed. I don't know what happened. I called the vet and they didn't really have any answers. SO I wound up giving her 5CC of Pen G 4 times a day for 5 day then once a day 5cc of Pen G for another 7 days. I also gave her 1000mG of Vit B1 for five days with about 100 mG of Vit B1 for & days after that. Have no clue what was wrong with her but she is fine. So fine that just Aug 14 she gave birth to healthy twin does. Which are jumping all over her and the pasture.. NIce and healthy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.