Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know, maybe she doesn't "need" a bottle, but my two month old Gracie is sooooooo cute and cuddly I want to give them to her...just for a while, just to have the experience. She ate the first night, about 3 ounces, but none since. I want to try goat's milk. I have never seen it at the store, do they sell it at grocery stores? Maybe I need to look somewhere else in the store. You guys told me no powdered "kid saver," do they sell powdered goat's milk at TSC?

Thanks.

PS: My year old ****** was obviously bottle fed at some point, he settles right in and finishes the bottles off.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Was she dam raised?

Two weeks is usually the oldest that you can pull them from the dam and expect them to adapt to bottle feeding. After that age, they usually won't accept the bottle.

About the only thing you can do is hold her so she can't scoot away from you and force the bottle in her mouth. Have someone else cover her eyes. Make sure your bottle has a little bit of a 'give', and squirt some milk into her mouth so she has to swallow. After trying this for several minutes, some kids will 'get it'.

Watch her really close. Some goats at 8 weeks are too young to wean (I won't wean until 12 weeks) and will starve themselves because they don't know to eat food or don't eat enough. Keep the previous owner's number at hand so you can call them and bring the baby back for a few feedings if she gets weak.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She was just weaned the day we got her. She eats the HECK out of hay, leaves etc. and a few grains of kid goat feed. I will try her with goat's milk and do as you suggested. She just pulls her head away. She did it that first night, but none since. She is such a tiny thing, I really want to do right by her. I, too, think maybe she was too young. But she is eating regular solids. I'm just afraid she might be missing out on key nutrients in milk.

Plus, I was looking forward to doing it!! Curled up in the hay with an adorable baby critter drinking a bottle sounded so sweet...but if she is done, she is done, I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I've never seen powdered goat milk at feed stores. Some health food stores and grocery stores carry the powdered goat milk and many carry pasteurized Meyenbergs milk in quart cartons. Have you tried the Pritchard nipple? Many kids will drink from that when they won't suck other ones. If she continues to refuse the bottle, add some Milk Plus pellets or Calf Manna to her grain.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
when I've had to bottle feed and the little one is stubborn I smeared a tiny tiny bit of molasses on the nipple and the rest that was on my finger across the little ones mouth. They will lick their nose area and get a taste and they seem to like it and then as they are licking shove the bottle in and they start chewing the nipple give a few little sqeezes. Watch out almost everyone about yanks the bottle from you...........apparently it's pretty good stuff:goodjob:

WARNING::: MESSY MESSY poopies. Luckily you'll only have to do the molasses about 2 times to get them hooked.
good luck

·
Lasergrl
1,656 Posts
be carefull what you wish for. My 10 month old still gets a bottle once in a while as a reward. She launches herself at the front door when the microwave beeps. She remebers that sound well.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL at Lasergrl...I couldn't understand why the older one was attacking me over the bottle until I decided to let him have a go. Turns out he has "been there, done that" and recognized the bottle!!!

I found goat's milk at an organic store called Trader Joe's. :). We'll have a shot of this later and hope it goes better with all the wonderful suggestions given. I'll post an update later.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
You can feed the kids regular whole cow's milk. I'd think it would be very expensive to buy goats milk for them.

(And I wouldn't expect store bought goats milk to taste like what you will get off the farm.)

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mary, it was ridiculously expensive! But she didn't want the cow's milk...I was hoping maybe something she is a little familiar with might tempt her. If not....any one want some goat's milk?!

·
Lasergrl
1,656 Posts
and it gets worse. I use McDonald empty cups as pellet scoops. She ALWAYS has to come to the cup and gum it for a minute to put herself at easy that it AINT a bottle just in case :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Tell me how expensive it is I was getting kicked with $8 a gallon and I had 2 babies and it lasted 4 days yikes. Some like it when you hold their chin and lay their head up against your chest. I think it makes them feel secure and like your mommy. With some temp is everything. Others just gulp whatever you put in it. My buck I am convinced you could have fed him rotten milk it made no difference to him as long as it was in a bottle he washed it down. One time I counted the number of sucks it took him to down a bottle 9 sucks and 43 seconds. I don't think I could manage that hehehe. It really hard to say what might be wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Mary, it was ridiculously expensive! But she didn't want the cow's milk...I was hoping maybe something she is a little familiar with might tempt her. If not....any one want some goat's milk?!
It's not the milk. If she was used to taking a bottle, she wouldn't be very particular what was in it. It's just next to impossible to teach a nursing baby to take a bottle. You might just want to be sure she is otherwise well nourished.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
It's not a bottle, but if you want to make sure she's getting enough - you could bucket feed her.

I did this with a 4 week old doeling. I used whole milk (from store), a little buttermilk and some vanilla yogurt. All mixed up and slightly warm (baby bottle warm). She loved it! Goat Smoothies!:goodjob:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts