She did it again!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cricket, May 31, 2005.

1. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Doe kindled last night in the storm - a week early! 6 on the wire and 4 in the nest. This is the same doe that "killed" all of her kits the last time. This time I want to watch the babies and make sure they are thriving. What do I look for other than the obvious growth? If they need to be supplemented, what do I use? I've never hand fed anything quite that small except a kitten but I think the kitten was bigger than these. I put more shavings in and covered them with the hair that was there since I couldn't steal any from my other does - they haven't kindled yet. One of the babies was pretty icky with blood on it but the other 3 look viable. When I left them, the mom was down with them and I heard them hollering. How do I check her milk? Well, thanks for any advice.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Some just weight the kits every day to detect any gaining of weight...sometimes,just handling them you can tell if they are getting milk, as the stomachs may be bloated. I had a doe that I thougth for sure would make her kits burst she fed so well. that was 9 kits, too!

Sorry to hear about the problems, but it sounds like she did a little better, this time.

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Nothing much other than growth, you can supplement with baby food spinach if they need it, but it sounds like you have a wild, feminist doe. <GRIN> Not very motherly and broody. :)