Shaving???

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well never got to slaughter last weekend, put my back out. Herniated disk, boy I really don't need this right now. So I'm wondering, how the hell am I going to dehair these pigs. I know anything involving alot of water is going to be too heavy for me so I'm thinking maybe I could burn the hair off, but I don't want to 'mess up the skin' with burn marks. Why can't you just shave them, like with a straight razor. I know it will take longer, but I just can't handle too much heavy stuff right now. If I shaved them, would there be hair still left in the skin? Is this a really stupid idea or what?

PS Protect your back! It sure throws a wrench into your plans when it's hurtin! :waa:

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Jackie,
    Sorry I missed this earlier. If you are going to eat the skin, I don't think shaving will do the job. We shave around certain areas that will not come out with the scald sometimes and there are tiny little hairs that make it unappetizing to eat. If you are not going to eat the skin- I don't think it will make a difference. Scalding pulls the entire hair out of the follicle- shaving will only remove the surface hair and leave stubble. I really wish I could help you- I've now done 5 by myself in the past three weeks now and wouldn't mind doing a couple for you. Ontario, however, is a bit of a drive :(

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Has anybody ever waxed a pig? Probably way too expensive, but it sure makes for smooth skin on women's legs, and it wouldn't even hurt the pig the way it does us girls. :D

4. As mentioned in a earlier thread:

One person can scrape an entire pig by theirself and you do not have to dip the pig. All you have to do is heat a 55 gallon drum barrel full of water. When the water gets hot enough you use about a 2 quart pan with a handle on it and dip out some hot water and pour it directly onto the area of the pig you are going to scrape. Scrape a area about the size of a dinner plate at a time. When you are pouring the hot water on the intended area you are going to scrape, watch for the skin to draw up. When the skin draws up you can now scrape. Pour, scrape, pour, scrape, pour, scrape, until you have completed the entire task.

It doesn't have to be a 2 man job although an extra man makes the job faster.

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

Really, come on now, who does eat the skin? I'm not talkin' cracklins. Leaving the skin on a hog used to serve a necessary purpose. Folks would cut up their hogs and leave the skin on as part of the preservation process common at the time.

I'd be willing to bet that most folks don't even know what real skin is like on a hog. There ain't a heck of a lot of use for it unless you REALLY like chewing your food. I bet most folks just rip the skin off when they go to eat it anyway, so why go to all the bother?

I used to scald and shave but not in years. It's just so much easier to skin and process, I can't see any reason to do it any other way.

Yer welcome to convince me otherwise...

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

My friend regularly sells hogs to some asian folks, here is how they do it. They use a big propane blow torch, and a hose. They singe the hair, and run water over it, scraping as they go. The torch doesnt burn the hide, as the hide is wet to start with. It works great. I believe the water on the skin actually cooks the hide a little, allowing the hair folicles to be scraped off.

7. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

We've used a blow torch at times. Sure is a quick way to clean one. We just torch an area at a time and use the water hose to wash off the singed hair, also rubbing with your hands. It also takes off a layer of skin which makes the whole hog look better. In my experience it leaves more stubble than scalding.

R.H. has a good point..........just dip the water and you won't have to do any heavy lifting.
    Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Bare, sometimes I like a good rind on my hams. Also, we cook a LOT of whole hogs and nothin beats that cracklin brown skin roasted on an open fire. When I cook one underground or on the smoker, the skin holds in lots of moisture. Mmmm. :) I can almost taste it now!

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sorry Bare. We love the skin. On a roast, it is the best part. It shouldn't be chewy- it should be crispy and it will crack off in one's hand. My friend told me how once she saw a whole pig roast where the skin had been smothered in mustard and honey :confused: . When it was done they took the skin off. What a waste. I don't think some people need to leave the skin on when they don't know how to cook it properly. But done right the skin is premium. Of course we are hispanic and we know how to cook the pork right so that the skin is perfect. When we remove the pig from the spit- everyone gathers round to break off pieces of the skin. I can't imagine not cooking it the way we do.

9. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for ideas and nice thoughts. I'll try pouring water on them. We'er getting lots of rain now so the well is up. I do have a little help and we're only going to do two at a time. Hopefully we can get two done tommorow, and will let you all now how it went. Thanks again :D