Shaving a goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

As some of you know, I have a chemical problem and cannot use pesticides to get rid of these stubborn lice. Ivermectin and Cydectin didn't work. DE didn't work. Couldn't find sulfer anywhere here. Turned out they are biting lice and not sucking lice so they are passed from body contact, not picked up off the ground. (a Deer Buck was hanging around them for a while last year) The powder would get rid of them but I cannot use it. So I had gotten something natual that seemed to be working but then I saw the signs again.

I decided to shave everyone. EVERYONE!!! I am going to get them clean. Here are some things I have found about shaving a goat.

1. Old dog clippers do not like goat hair.

2. Newer dog clippers do not like to be dropped on the ground and will let
    you know by making a weird noise.

3. You cannot imagine you are able to bend in so many ways to keep goat
    confined and still get at where you are cutting. (bending over for too long
    makes you lightheaded)

4. A kid will cry the whole time it is being shaved.

5. A kid's cry is three times louder in an empty feed bucket.

6. A kid will keep looking into that feed bucket as if feed will miraculously
    appear.

7. The lice are not cut in half and instantly die, unfortunately.

8. Every other goat in the barn will take a moment to look through the gate
    to see what is going on, then act like you are doing something different to
    them.

9. A kid will fall asleep while it's neck is shaved but scream when you go to
    another place as if you hadn't been shaving it all along.

10. At the same time you realize the kid has stopped crying, she will also
    realize and start crying again, looking in that bucket for that hidden grain.

It took 4 hours to clip two 40 pound kid goats. This seems long to me. What kind of clippers do any of you use and any hints? Still have 14 more to go.

By the way, when I fed, the babies looked great, nice and clean...no bugs.

2. Kittikity

Kittikity Small scale homesteader

Sounds a lot like grooming some of the less "agreeable" dogs.. heehee

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Did you inject the Ivomec? That will usually kill lice.

4. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

haha, your list made me laugh!! I know, I become quite flexible while cutting hooves or trying to milk a naughty goat.

I think kids LOVE their neck and chest being rubbed; perhaps that is why they fall asleep XD

Wow, 4 hours. I hope your other goats cooperate :)

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Because they are biting lice, injecting Ivermectin doesn't work.

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Sulphur powder (yellow) will get rid of the lice....feed it to your goats with their dinner. 1 teaspoon per goat per day until lice have gone, usually takes about a week...then a maintenance dose of sulphur till the lice season finishes....there is absolutley no need to use chemicals to get rid of lice and absolutely no need to shave your goats.
    Natural Goat Care by Pat Coleby....buy it...it has all natural goat cures etc.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

It shouldn't take so long to clip a goat. I suspect it may be your dog clippers not heavy duty enough to do the job on goat coats. Also bathing a goat pre-shaving helps. I think maybe you need a strong clippers. What model do you have?

8. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

You might want to invest in a set of Oster horse clippers.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through when a bath would have solved the problem. A little dish detergent with some Ivomec mixed in would have killed the mites

10. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

As I had said, I cannot find sulphur powder anywhere around here. I have looked. The only kind I found was for plants and it had other things in it. I questioned before how to get and was never answered. I would love to be able to do something easy like that.

11. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Last year I gave all of them baths but apparently, missed a couple of the boogers because they were able to repopulate during the winter.

Believe me, I have tried everything (except the powder, of course) to get rid of these things. The shaving seems to be working. I also rubbed them down with the natural insect killer (Neem) The kids look clean.

12. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting the Oster A-5 so I can use it on my dog after cleaning them up REAL WELL. Wish I knew someone who had a pair to make sure they work before buying it. My goats are Boers and have a pretty thick coat going, even during the summer.

13. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

The A-5 will work but they are sloooow!!! If you want to buy clippers buy some Clipmasters or something along that line for a full body clip. The A-5 work good around the head and legs though. Got my Clipmasters off of E-Bay.

14. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember reading about a chemical called Dimilin (sp) back in 1990. It was a chitin inhibitor and was safe to use since mammals don't have exoskeletons. I never heard if it received final approval though. I believe it was given orally.

What about the bugs or bug eggs in the goats bedding? They might just reinfect the goats after all of your hard work.

15. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

This might be a stupid question....I'm still learning....would flea and tick shampoo work for lice on goats?

As far as clippers go, I use Oster Power Pro cordless clippers and they're pretty powerful, work as well as Double K cable-driven clippers and much easier to manuver. Got mine at Valley Vet Supply. A bathed animal is still much easier to clip though. :)

16. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Whenever I've had a tough lice problem I've bathed the goats with Head N Shoulders. Works great and the coat is so soft.

17. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Head and Shoulders...humm...

No really, I've tried the shampooing and I must not have gotten them all. The natural stuff I used melted the extoskelton on the lice, but didn't leave any residue killer, like a chemical would do. (the company was even surprised that all the lice were not killed. Armpits and such and it only take one breeding pair) Twelve goats are alot of goats to bath at once.

Fishhead, since these are biting lice, they are past by body contact. They cannot survive off an animal so no worry about that (according to my vet) that is why the injectable Ivermectin doesn't work. I keep cleaning out the shed though, just to be sure.

coso, thanks. I had called a friend and asked her what kind of clipper she used and she said the A-5 so I sent my order in. I want to use it for my dog after this and the Clipmaster would be too big for that. Wonder if anyone I know has one I can borrow... humm...

Kim, it's not a dumb question, I just cannot handle chemicals anymore. The lice powder would take care of the problem if I could. Flea and tick shampoo is the same ingredient as the powder. Perithin

Oh, and this time I will make sure it is shady for the whole clipping :)

18. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

If us down under have Sulphur Powder someone in the good old U S of A will have it...try through an organic store or similar. All our Stock feed stores have sulphur, copper, salt etc.

19. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

hummm... healthfood store, didn't think of them. Thanks and will let you know

20. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

You can buy powdered sulfur by the pound on eBay.