sharpening chisels

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by treehugger, May 30, 2005.

1. treehugger

treehugger Active Member

I need some instruction/pointers on putting a super sharp edge on my chisels, planes and any other edged tool.

Thanks

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Go to Knifeforums.com The guys are very helpful. shadowwalker

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

for a nice sharp edge on wood chisel use a wet stone but dont waite so long in between sharpening so you dont have to work so hard

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

use a oil stone or wet stone, to get the basic shape, then if possible re-hone it with a finer grit,
    now to get that super fine edge, use some buffing compound on a felt buffing wheel I prefer to run the wheel at about 1000 rpm and you will need to put the edge away from the rotation, in other words, you would not point the chisel in to the rotation but with it so it will not grab the chisel,

start the buffer wheel , take the buffing compound tube and rub it on to the face of the buffing wheel, and then buff the chisel edge, (I use a stainless steel buffing compound, it is what I have)

it will polish it to a mirror like finish, if the chisel is properly honed to begin with, and usually you will have a razor edge with little effort,

it was in the last 10 or so years I learned that a razor strop used buffing compound to make the edge of the straight razor sharp,
    and in a way by using the buffing wheel your power stropping the edge on the wood chisel,