Sharpening buzz saw (again)

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by FarmboyBill, Nov 18, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

alike i stated in my earlier post id never sharpened it before, always had it done, and its been around 5 yrs since I had it sharpened the last time. What i wanting to know is, do I sharpen the longer slanting edge, or the straight out to the point shorter edge?? Thanks

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The important thing is that the tip of each tooth be cleanly pointed, secondly each tooth need to be leaning out away from the blades main body, each opposite to the one before it or after it, this is called 'set'. There are hand tools just for this purpose. Thirdly, each tooth needs to have 'relief' meaning that only the tooth tip be exposed to the wood. The area behind the tip must be files away or down so that only the tip contacts the wood.

This can be monitored by placing a magnet on the saws frame where clearances are visible as each tooth rotates by the magnet. Differences of less than 1 thousands of an inch are desirable, though very hard to do using hand tool applications. Is a new blade a doable option?

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

both, and like moopups said the cutting tip of each tooth needs to be cleanly pointed.