Sharpening bolts

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'll tell you why I need to sharpen bolts but it won't really help. My wife wants a primary wool picker........ see told ya. Basically it s high speed toothed drum (bars on wheels) that grabs the wool as its fed in and tears it from lumps into "opened" tufts. What I require is a method to put a consistant, even, smooth sided point (perfect cone?) on a 5/16 or 3/8 bolt head after the head is lopped off by a chop saw. It has to be repeatable about 150 times. Oh yeah and a grade 8 bolt would be best but maybe a grade 5 would do.

2. Ross

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if you are cutting off the head why not buy round stock instead a lath or a grinder will work

4. Haynes

Haynes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you want by your post?
    That part in the drum, try dowell pins or screws?
    Threaded on the end or tapered?
    Are you cuttin the heads off bolts?
    I buy fasteners at work, and I'm confused here.
    It's a textile part so run textile suppliers

Donnie--who chews on salesman for this during the day

5. Haynes

Haynes Well-Known Member

Best guess,
    if your threading into a recess, threaded taper pin.
    if your just wedging them standard taper pin.
    Both machine tool steel ,as in they'll last.

6. Ross

I'm using sharpened bolts so i can simply bolt then to a predrilled bar, then either weld or bolt the bar to the cylender. I need a method to sharpen the cut off bolts all exactly the same. I have access to a lathe and a bench grinder, but I guess a jig for the grinder is my first or prefered option. There are no textile suppliers that will sell me 150 picker teeth, (yes i looked and my wife does deal with these companies for her needle felting needles and buys them by the thousand)

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ross,
    Doesn't a head on a cotton picker have cones like you described ? I think they are threaded on one end also.

8. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Probably better to first build yourself a swage block or cone mandrel and then maybe heat each bolt and form it. If it requires heat treating later could also do that.

Got to be much faster and maybe more accurate. Some swages can do it cold using a press. Shouldn't be that difficult to make a swage block that has the right shape. Swage could be a one piece affair where you pound in the bolt to shape it. Should be able to make one with a undersized drill bit and then some grinding / shaping.

9. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

could you use a wooden drum with Masonary nails driven thru from underneath ? the discription of the early carding machines were made of wood with iron pins ,
    be carefull there are many reports of people injured by these machines when they were powered by steam ,

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Mount a chuck equiped electric motor on the horizonal travel bar of your lathe. Install bolts at the correct angle of approach and a grinding wheel into the lathe, advance the travel while both the wheel and the chucked bolt are rotating.

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I would just buy a package of snowmobile studs. They are threaded, pointed, come in several diameters (including 5/16”) as well as a variety of lengths. The look like this:

[​IMG]

They are usually sold in packages of 144. Check for styles, sizes and prices at any snowmobile parts dealer on the web, such as www.denniskirk.com

12. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Look at something like a drill bit sharpener.

http://www.toolking.com/shop/view.asp?id=3039

Just the time for change over probably makes most machining type operations very long to produce a quantity of 150 if doing it all by hand.

13. Ross

I've seen pictures of cotton pickers but they'd be non-existant in Ontario. I wonder if snowmobile studs would work, they don't really look long enough but I'll check it out. Snowmobiles we have! Thanks! Never thought of a drill bit sharpener, I've already resigned myself to puttign in some time, but Moopups milling set up might give me a more consistant point. Wool by nature will bind to anything not that isn't smooth, we already have a secondary picker for washed wool, and it is a deadly looking thing when running. Not as deadly as a lot of my farm machinery but no place for kids all the same. Thanks guys I'll try out some ideas this weekend.

14. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

what it sounds like you are wanting a stud instead of a bolt? kinda like a caulk on a logging boot which also comes in different lengths

William

15. Ross

Here's a picture of the teeth on our picker, I want to copy them in a slightly bigger format.
    [​IMG]

16. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Using a grinder means a lot of metal has to be ground away to make 150 of these. How about turning them using a profile pattern on your lathe then an emery belt for the final polish?

17. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Some models of those snowmobile studs are 2-inches long.

18. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

19. Ross

Wells thank you both! I was going to take a look later but you're absolutely right, these may well be the exact thing. titanium studs They're only 14 inch but titanium is a nice improvement. Now I'm wondering if that's not what the teeth on the picker we have are!. I'll take one out to see. Thanks again Cabin and Agman!

20. Ross

OK I pulled one and I'd bet the farm they are snowmobile studs! Problem solved!!