Sharing ideas for names

Discussion in 'Goats' started by prairiecomforts, Sep 26, 2006.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Just wondering how everyone comes up with kids names in the spring. We have always seemed to have a "theme" for names. One year is was berries - Raseberry, Strawberry, Black Berry....last year it was flowers...Daffodil, Daisy... How do you all come up with names and do you follow a "theme" for them?

prairie

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I am rather bad...I don't tend to follow a theme per say. I pick a name that fits the kid :shrug: .

MotherClucker

3. Dun Coille

Dun Coille Well-Known Member

I name kids using a name that begins with the same letter as mom's name. For example, Heart kidded with triplets this year and her kids are named Harvey, Heather, and Holly.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a list on the fridge. :rolleyes: Anytime I hear a name I like (for a goat), I add it to the list. I like to use old names that people used to use (and I still like for whatever reason), but aren't as likely to be used for one of my grandchildren. lol.
    mary

5. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Well we are Sugar Creek Farm...we are picking our names from a list of sweet things: Sugar, Caramel, Brownie, Cookie, Taffy, etc....the first one was Brownie and then we are getting a "Fudge", it kind of spiraled from there :p ! We have Taffy and Caramel too.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I can never seem to name a kid until I've gotten to know her...after a few days they seem to name themselves.

Ruth

7. moosemaniac

I have had a list for a couple of years now...I've yet to use one single name off the list.

Ruth

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Heh!
    It takes a looooong time for animals to get names here. Especially when I try to avoid using names that have been used on the farm before and try not to duplicate among the species (cattle, caprine and felines).
    Bucks and bulls are the hardest to come up with names for. Mostly because I cannot think about male names. Since we rarely keep a buck or bull around long enough to require a name I just never set my mind to thinking in masculine terms.
    So Cervantes (the bull we are raising) was lucky in getting a name before he was a year old. Two of our bucks came with their names. William and Achilles did not. Will was originally "White" and Charlie (his half brother) was "Creme" until they were given names. Achilles took forever, and his name is appropriate (he appears to be paralyzed in the hind end).

As far as does are concerned. Some of the does out there did not get names until they were three. That's when I came home and basically took over the herd. lol
    Almost all of this year's doelings are finally named...only one left and I am stuck on Rosebud for her.
    There is one line that tends towards themed names. Snow White's daughters (except for Milky Way , her first) are named after fairy tale maidens of sorts ( Aurora (Sleeping Beauty); Fern (Ferngully..close enough); and Fiona (named this year). If/when Aurora has triplet doelings they will be named after the fairy godmothers from Sleeping Beauty. Milky Ways line requires chocolate/candy bar names. Her two daughters are Snickers (yearling) and Ghiradelli (Della..this year's).
    Well, and I guess Danielle's followed a theme this year. Her two daughters out of her triplets were named Marquerite and Jacqueline...after the step sisters in Ever After (which is where her name came from).
    Elegance, as well. She is Danielle's daughter. Elegance (ends in "e", has three "e"s in her name). Persephone (2005 daughter, named before the theme was decided)-three "e"s, end in "e." Evangeline (2006 daughter)-three "e"s, ends in "e."
    So sometimes there is rhyme or reason, but most times not.
    I also am very big on getting to know the animal first. They will generally tell you there name.

9. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We like old time, up the holler names (like Clyde, Opal, etc.) so the last time I had to name goats I asked everyone I worked with what their grandparents's first names were.

That gave us a lot of names that sounded suitable for goats. :) Names like Inez, Mavis, Pearl, Otis, Clementine, Ona, Hector, Albert were all suggested.

Lynda

10. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I only scanned above posts so I may be repeating; sorry. Each year we choose a theme. We've had berries, flowers, herbs, etc. In 2007 my 6 1/2 year old suggested "fair food" since it is obviously something she looks forward to each summer when we take goats to local county fairs. We are already makiing our list! Corn dog, funnel cake, cotton candy.....any fair food suggestions?

11. moosemaniac

Gyros, ox roast, pink lemonade, slushies, roasted peanuts, waffles...gosh, I'm getting a tummy ache.....

Ruth

12. triana1326

triana1326 Dances in moonlight

Candied Apple, Turkey Leg, Hotdog, Kabob, Sausage Link...

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

You're killing me :rotfl:

you can't name a nubian doeling "elephant ears"
    candy apple, candy corn, curly fries, tenderloins, fried cheese

14. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas!!! My husband suggested that we end every name with "on-a-stick". Last year we had a family reunion down in So Cal at the Los Angeles County Fair and you literally could buy anything "on-a-stick"! It became a huge joke!

15. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Our fair sells fried vegetables...

My goats all had different sorts of names, but there tended to be a theme for each family. Yukiko had Seiko, Mariko, and Kumiko. England had Asia and Afrika. (i know, englands not a continent.)

I like the names of places and cities, like Nenana, Nome, and Denali. I also like names that are not often used in America. a good place for names is " babynames.com " You can get alot of names that way.

16. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

All ours have titles such as Mister Whatson, Sir William, Dame Minerva, Madam Winefred, Lil' Celestial, Miss Daphne, etc...and so on.

17. moosemaniac

I tend to lean toward "people" names, but occasionally thrown in a misfit. Greta, Molly, Lily, Hope, Faith, Charity, Razzle Dazzle, Mermaid, Norman, Oliver, Money Maker, Moose, Dot, Jazz, Zoe, Anabel, Mattie, Haley, Polly & Ester (yeah, twins)...etc.

Ruth

18. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

We have a hispanic theme going. No reason why. So far we have had Pancho and Cisco, Then Graciella and Gabriella who had Isabella. Then Rosita who had Paco, Taco and Nacho. It usually takes me a bit to name my goats also, even with the hispanic theme I want the right name for the right goat. I do not like to name wethers we plan on eating.

19. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Molly is NOT a misfit name!!!! I named my daughter Molly and she is definitely no misfit (can't vouch for her parents though)....although when our priest baptized her he didn't say her saint name, Mary, he invoked "St. Molly" instead, to the enjoyment of the parish.

20. moosemaniac

No, no, no....the "misfit" names are the ones that aren't people names. Jazz, Mermaid, etc.

Ruth