Shared Property

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barefoot gal, Aug 15, 2004.

1. barefoot gal

barefoot gal Member

big rockpile started a thread about his road maintainance problem. Just the sort of problem many of us have had, heard about other having, or could get ourselves into if we aren't VERY careful. But roads aren't the only problem.

A couple years ago, I was looking at a house on a "shared" well. Okay, there are lots of wells in this area shared by 2 or 3 houses. Luckily, I knew enough to READ the well agreement before buying the house. It's not a shared well! It's a mini water district! The well belongs to the property I was looking at and the agreement is for that property owner to sell water to 4 other houses at a set monthly rate. No limits on water usage - like filling a swimming pool or watering a huge lawn or garden. No provision for sharing the expense of repairs. And if something went wrong and one of the neighbor kids got sick, who would they sue? I backed off fast.

My point is to warn all who are or ever will consider buying a property which shares ownership or use of anything - road, well, septic, lake, common ground, community center, swimming pool, cow path, mud puddle, or dog house - ask for and READ the agreement(s) before you make an offer to buy. Heck, have the agent send it to you before driving hours to see the property. Think of the worst probable scenario. And make the most educated decision you can.

P.S. My first property buying experience included finding out about an easement at the closing table. I hesitated, but DH (now XDH) wanted to go ahead with the purchase, so we did. (That was my good little DW phase.) The easement did not cause a problem in the 10 years we owned the place.

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

4 years ago, we looked at a 4 acre plot very near our 20. It shared a well with the neighbor. we decided not to buy it because it was over priced. there has never been a 4 sale sign on the property.

now, 4 years down the road, someone did buy it. Moved a mobile home on it etc.

The kicker is. Picture a rectangle 20 acres. then take a 4 acre plot on the edge in the middle of the 20. So it is 16 acres shaped like a *C* around the 4 and both properties sharing the well.

The owner of the 16, our next door neighbor, didnt know he didnt own the 4. He thought he owned 20 acres. ummm.... he still doesnt know he is sharing his well... I am not saying a thing....

OK, the owner of the 16 is hot headed... there have been fireworks in our neighborhood this week....

we are really really blessed that we decided it was overpriced and didnt buy it ourselves. We had no idea that he thought he owned it. I never could figure out why he brushhogged it each year... now I know!

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Our property line runs through a large pond and a small pond (basically a watering hole for livestock). The neighbor who shares the property line lets any and everyone fish in the large pond and doesn't bother to let us know anyone will be over there, or to keep them on his find of the pond. Every single time he lets someone fish there I pick up trash in and around the pond afterwards. He even let his grandson come over and fish in the pond in our front yard without asking or letting us know. I was out in the yard, got a bug up my pants, yanked them down and as I'm pulling them up I see this boy standing in MY YARD watching me!!! :eek: I had no idea there was anyone around. And hubby and I picked up trash the kid had thrown down...IN OUR FRONT YARD.

Hubby wishes we'd had the chance to buy enough acreage to give us the entire ponds. I wish he'd already put the fence down the property line...and across the ponds. SOON...VERY SOON.

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I have a relative who owns 25 plus acres outside of the next town. Someone else owns property butting up next to it...and she doesn't live there full time so everytime someone goes out to the property the neighbor they get followed and watched. The neighbor, who also doesnt live there, calls the law just about every time he can, claiming that they won't let him access his property, which is never true. This has been going on for 3 years, but my family has owned the property for more than 25 years. They had a survey done, and the next step is building a fence along the survey line. Its too bad they just can't play nice. This might end up in court.

5. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

I almost bought a house where there was an easement allowing the neighbors leach field on the property. It was a small property and the neighbors leach field blocked access to ever drive heavy equipment to gain access to the well or leach field for maintenance/replacement. Of course in the agreement you would be responsible to fix your neighbors leach field etc.... we backed out right away.

6. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

We looked at 20 acres Friday with an access road right through the center, I doubt I'll call the realtor back, he didnt even bother to tell us. I dont care how nice the neighbors seem that is just asking for trouble.

Jennifer

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My forty acres in colorado had 'access easment' across one side for the neighbor behind. But it crossed a deep canyon, so was absolutely worhless to him. He still had to drive around several miles to reach his place and had to get another easment thru someone else's property. Whoever drew that easment out just couldn't have been anywhere NEAR the property! Made no sense whatsoever to have an easement there!

8. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought a land-locked property once that had in the contract easement across another property. It was all legal and spelled out exactly where it was, who was to maintain it and looked all legal and clear. Well, all went well until the property sold to a drunkard, mean s---. Although he knew what was what before he bought the property, he proceeded to hate people driving across his land. It got dangerous---he drank and played with guns---got scarey. Even though we contacted a lawyer and thought about getting an injunction---we gave up and sold the property. Not worth dying for, you know. The new owners have done better than we did for some reason. But I'll never buy property like that again.

9. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Daileyjoy
    are you saying that there was a road thru the middle of *your* 20 for other people to get to thier property? :(

I might be able to see it if it was 100 acres but you cant even be sure of your children being safe at home...