Shar and I are distant cousins!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ardie/WI, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Awhile back I posted that a relative and I found each other here. Well, let me introduce Shar. We've been emailing and PMing and I've been phoning and writing some older cousins.

It seems that Shar's great-grandfather and my grandfather were brothers! Isn't that something!? I know where they grew up as I lived a couple miles from that homestead for about the first five years of my life. I'm gathering family history since Shar has a sister (or it is cousin) that is interested in that.

So....what does that make her and I---sixth cousins?????????

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Shar is your second cousin once removed. You and her related parent are second cousins.

3. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

That's nifty! I remember it all started over you looking for a recicpe that had been in your family!

4. Melissa

Melissa member

That is so cool Ardie. It is a small world!

5. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

I think that is such a neat story!

6. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Ardi, Thanks For Posting Our Finding Each Other. This Has Been
    So Much Fun Emailing Back And Forth, Sharing What History We Know With Each Other. Looking Forward To More And More Sharing Stories And Hopefully Pictures. After Hearing Any New Info From Ardi I Spend The Next Couple Hours Emailing Cousins And My Sister To Fill
    Them All In On The New Findings. We Were Never Able To Share The Recipe As My Mom Wasn't Aware Of It, But A Friendship Came Out Of It.

Thanks Cuz!

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

What sort of recipe is it that you are searching for?

Congrats on finding each other.

8. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

My cousin, Marie,79 living in Oconto Falls and I were talking about a recipe that our Grandma made at pig butchering time. All Marie remembers is that it had prunes in it. I don't remember it at all. I suspect Grandma was making use of scrapes of pork and came up with some sort of mincemeat type dish.

My cousin, Janice, sent me the recipe for Belgian Pie. Belgian Pie has a sweet thick dough like crust with various filling such as prunes, raisons or rice. It has a topping usually made of cheese.