Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 9 and has very fine oily hair. All the shampoos for fine hair load her hair down with oil. Its so bad that she can wash her hair and as soon as it dries it is heavily oily looking.
Does someone have a suggestion for shampoo?? Help this poor girl feel less self conscious about her hair. :(
God Bless,
Michele

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Years ago when I worked in a beauty shop I had a regular customer that had that same problem. I put about a tablespoon of peroxide in the shampoo bottle that I used for her. The size you would get from the store like the large Suave shampoo size. That took care of the greasy look. There may be something else out there now. That was more than thirty (OMG!) years ago so I am sure if you went to Sally beauty supply they could point you in the right direction. Peroxide is really cheap though and a bottle will last a long time.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I recommend the Fructis for oily hair. If you get the matching conditioner have her only use a small amount on the ends and not all the way to the scalp. Keeping her from overly brushing or playing with it alot can help as can a final rinse with cold water.

edited to add that you can find this in any big box store, large grocery or chain pharmacy. It runs about $2.99 per bottle and it even smells nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have oily hair and I like Herbal Essensce. I use 2 different formulas,if I tend to use the same shampoo all the time my hair gets limp and oily fast so I switch back and forth every few days. They have a clarifying one as well as an extrabody one that doesn't weigh my hair down.
My Aunt uses a product called hair refresher. I think it is like a hairspray and it absorbs the oil your daughter could see if that helps between shampoos. Avon carries the one my Aunt uses but I think other companies make it also.

Robin

·
Registered
660 Posts
Back in my previous life, I was involved in the fashion industry and was told by a hair dresser to clean build-up out of hair...use palmolive dish detergent and a tablespoon of baking soda. Lather up with the palmolive and then rub the b-soda in, and rinse. Use this every week or as build-up was noticed. I don't know why palmolive, in particular, was suggested.

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
Have you ever tried homemade lye soap instead of shampoo? That's what I use. I have a decent amount of hair, but it is very fine. I've found that the soap I use now gives it a bit of texture and keeps it cleaner longer than shampoo ever did.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
mammabooh said:
Have you ever tried homemade lye soap instead of shampoo? That's what I use. I have a decent amount of hair, but it is very fine. I've found that the soap I use now gives it a bit of texture and keeps it cleaner longer than shampoo ever did.
I've been using Bronner's castile (in peppermint!) with the same results. When I had it cut in a bob, I didn't have to use any of the stylying gels or hair spray if I were using the Bronner's. You just make sure to put vinegar in the rinse.

I don't know if that would work for the OP's little girl. My hair was baby-babyfine before puberty, only fine now. I don't know that the castile wouldn't have weighed it down. If she's trying everything else, though, she might give the lye or castile a whirl.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Michelle, My 14 year old son has silky, fine straight hair. If he doesn't shampoo daily he's super oily, stringy (since he wears it very long) and altogether NOT the look he's going for. He uses the sleek and shine Garnier fructis mentioned above for oily hair. He doesn't use the conditioner that goes with it, but uses the deep conditioner (in the little round pot) by the same company, about once a week. His hair is gorgeous.

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
MicheleMomof4 said:
I haven't tried home made lye soap. But I would like to! Is that what Cyndi (MullersLaneFarm) sells???
God Bless,
Michele
I would imagine she'd have some. If you put a request down on the soaping section of the homemking forum, I'm sure someone could help you out. I made mine, but I'm all out of the plain stuff right now (or I'd send you some). What I made last time is more of a moisturizing bar, but I'll send you some of that if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have fine hair. I use Redken "Clear Moisture" and it's wonderful. It's kind of expensive, though... about $12 for 10 oz.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So much advice, we are both excited that we have so many things to try! :)
She would like a perm in her hair, our hair stylist once told us that it would help dry her oily hair out for awhile. So she is stuck on getting a perm. Poor thing has her Mama's stick straight hair that curlers don't even do anything to. I think 9 is young for a perm, but that is when my Mama started giving me mine for the same reason. And I hate seeing her so self conscious so I might cave. :)
Thank you everyone! :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've found "Prell" to be the very best for me. It is the only shampoo that keeps my hair from being flat. I've been using it since I was a teenager and now I'm 50 and still fight with oily skin and hair; it is still the best I've ever used. It isn't expensive either.

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
MicheleMomof4 said:
Your so nice to share! Do you think cause of it being a moisturizing bar it would weigh down her hair?
God Bless,
Michele
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My hair seems to be a bit more shiny with this recipe. I'll gladly send you a bar if you'd like to try it, though.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, but I will try the others first. I don't want to use up your supply! Your very kind and I thank you for the offer. :)
I love this place, so much good advice.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My hair is very, very straight and fine, before getting here a perm, i would try a couple of things, take her hair into one bunch and twirl it into a tight bun on
top, more just like putting it round and round and pushing ends under, then i take a scrunchy and put it around it tightly, i do this when my hair is damp, not wet and leave it while i'm busy, then take it out later in the day or if i'm going out, it gives body without chemicals.

Having been there and done that with regards to perms, i would caution you and also, they won't stay in as long as with other types of hair. Also when it comes to growing them out, you end up with very straight hair on top and wavy/curly on bottom.

If she's really set on a perm - a body perm could be an idea - it won't be super curly, and won't last as long as tight curls, but it will give a more natural look and be easier to grow out.

I use herbal essence and panteen and interchange them. I'm going to try the dr. brommers i have in the closet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.