Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought home two kittens that were dumped out here in the country--to use for barn cats. They are covered with fleas. I used Zodiac flea spray for cats/kittens on them last night and put them both in a big dog crate in the barn. Partly so they can get used to the barn and don't run away and partly so they don't spread fleas to the goats.

Today I see dead fleas on the kittens and nothing moving. Can I now give them a bath or will that wash off the flea spray? Has it done its job or am I supposed to leave it on now that they're dry? I don't want my kids to handle them with dead fleas and eggs and flea poop on them. Is it safe to give them a bath now with a mild flea shampoo?

How often should I use the flea spray to make sure they don't come back and to take care of the life cycle? It says it kills fleas and eggs.

Dee

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
Well if it kills eggs I think you are done with the chemical route unless you see fleas again. Water drowns fleas and the label should day how 'long' they need to stay dry. Here is what their website says (FAQ):

Will Zodiac products still work if my pets get shampooed or wet in the rain?
Yes. If your pets sometimes get wet in the rain during short walks, or you bath them occasionally with a mild shampoo, this should not interfere with the effectiveness of a Zodiac product. However, if your pets get wet frequently or are bathed with a detergent soap, the effectiveness of some products may diminish. For pets who are bathed frequently, the best choice would be a collar. Zodiac Flea & Tick Collars continue to release a new supply of active ingredients for several months, replenishing the coat even if your pet gets wet or is given a bath.

So I think a bath with a mild shampoo is probably ok. Call the 800 number on the label!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call the 800 number on the label!!>>>

The label is ripped and I couldn't find a phone number. Duh, though, I didn't think about the website! :rolleyes: Thanks for your help!

Dee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts