Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to add your own :)

I've had a good month topped by my all time best, I just sold a trumpet I paid $10 for and got $900.

I'm geeked, a welcome find going into winter :)

I also turned a $10 bird cage into $75, a $2 incubator into $50 and I have a $10 flute I haven't tried to sell yet but should get $100 for it. I bought 4 sterling silver spoons for 66c but researching the markings they may be nazi silver so I'm not sure what I'll do with those...ugh..I hope I'm wrong.

Sad the season for sales is almost over though :( How was your season?

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Sweet flip on the trumpet!

We're having a barn sale one of these days, it's well beyond time for us to purge. Selling a set of Foos truck wheels that we are into for $150 and should get $600 (retail is almost $300 a wheel). Also a lot of vintage, collectible and antique items from my grandmother's estate that I am finally ready to part with.

I have been asking for months for the front half of the barn, but DH hasn't gotten his stuff organized yet. He is almost finished building a storage loft, that should help clear up floor space so I can take over the front half and set up for the sale.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I love garage sales. However, garage sales here, start at 7 am. They end at 10 am. Thinking it's because of heat. I'm buying things; off CL. I've had good luck with that. For example, I got a Excalibur Dehydrator; 9 tray with with teflon sheets for $25.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Between not needing a whole lot, the price of gas and lack of time, and rarely finding anything...I just don't do garage sales anymore. However, I'm always on the look out for certain homesteading type vintage/antique useful items!

MO Cows, have you thought about listing any of your granny's estate items on HT?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Tiempo - good work!.

I am not familiar with Nazi silver - what kind of markings.

The silver spoons made me think of a sale I went to and the young man, family, offered me a box of what I thought was silverplate for next to nothing. It was truly ugly and heavy and I just didn't want it. We were in our travel trailer at the time. I did buy a container of stainless for the trailer and there were three of the silver spoons in the container. I found the spoons selling for about $40 a piece on Ebay. They were sterling and very heavy. Now that's not a brag!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Between not needing a whole lot, the price of gas and lack of time, and rarely finding anything...I just don't do garage sales anymore. However, I'm always on the look out for certain homesteading type vintage/antique useful items!

MO Cows, have you thought about listing any of your granny's estate items on HT?
I did list one item, a 1957 Argus 35mm camera with leather case, leather harness and neck strap, and some accessories. Just the camera alone has sold on epay for $99, so I priced at $150. One person was pretty interested but not at that price and the cost of shipping is an issue. Most everything is breakable so shipping is not the best idea anyway.

Cash and carry wins out every time!

Reactions: TRAILRIDER

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Nice job, Tiempo!!!

My best score of recent was finding an agricultural tester at an auction for $1, and flipped it for $325. I feel blessed, to say the least.

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about the Nazi hallmark on the silver. Just list it and sell it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nazi stuff I would think is big collector items.
It doesn't make one evil for wanting/buying it.
It's a part of history :)

I live hearing successful flip stories!

·
Registered
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the trumpet, such a beauty. A 1955-60 H N White King silver sonic symphony. The entire bell solid sterling silver.

I love that it was purchased by the original company that made it and they will restore it to it's former glory and get it into the hands of a serious horn player after it's many years hiding in a barn, horn players adore these instruments (none of which I knew when I bought it, I found out when I got home and looked it up..I just thought it looked like quality)

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Wow, great flips.

The best I've ever done (and it's not a yard sale find) was buying coal rights for a property at the tax sale for $1.00.

Came to find out in a few yearsafter I bought it that the property owner thought when he bought the property, the coal rights came with it. He wasn't looking to get the coal - just wanted to make sure nobody else could mess up his land.

He paid me $1000.00.

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
Some of my best deals was finding a jadite mixing bowl for .50 and selling it for $50. and buying vintage wooden chairs for $2. and selling them for $30. each.
Right now I have an optimus 88 stove, complete with pans, still in the original box and working great (it burns regular gas) that I paid .50 for and could sell it for around $100.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts