Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an improvement on something I did 12 years ago. At that time, a friend got me to sew a stage curtain for our ice rink show. It was $1 a yard black denim and took two months to make.

Here it is when it was last used in a Spring Show...

For the last 5 years I've known the skating school director and the rink would have liked a new curtain as this one was getting a bit tattered. I hear the Sr Center ladies were going to do it, and I chuckled. That curtain was a BEAR to wrestle with. (I had to have a helper to help me move it as it was sewn.)

This year the rink is doing the full "Nutcracker" but on ice. This is something really special and something I've wanted the rink to do. To make a full program with auditions and all. This deserved a new curtain, but it costs more now.

In Aug I asked someone to finance it, but the school director found the funds. Cyngbeald helped me find the source of the fabric for a really great price.
I started sewing the first part of October, and my next door neighbor helped me make what you'll be seeing. The director picked the dark royal-navy blue, and wanted something rich looking. We settled on a suede type of cloth. And instead of a big black plastic tarp between the rink wall and the wall of the zamboni garage with the stands above, they wanted curtain to match there. (it's where the skaters go from a back way in the rink to the back of the stage area without being seen).

This is the ice portion of the new curtain, there is 25 feet more to the right...

Then the director needed a growing Christmas tree. An engineer made a line drawing with some dimentions. The director wanted it green on one side and white on the other (home and snow scenes), but didn't have much budget (like none in the budget). You'll see what $1 yard fabric can do.
Then she wanted the 7 strands of lights each side (14 strands total) to be sewn on the tree so it would not come loose and leave something on the ice to hurt a skater. Monday and Tuesday - another lady and I did the green side. Last night and today I did the white side. You'll see the tree and part of the curtain below

The tree is fully extended to 19-20feet, the curtain is 14'2" tall and the fake window is 12 feet tall to give you some size idea.

So thank you for induling me in my shamless tooting my horn of what I've been doing after work and on weekends.

And Now you've see what may be my Christmas tree.
(we have two shows tomorrow and one Sat night and one Sun afternoon) and I stand on ice behind the curtain as a stage director type person on a headphone during the show. My oldest daughter is doing the tech directing of the lights and cues, and runs the computer music control.

Merry Christmas to all.

Angie

·
Bunny Poo Monger
3,067 Posts
Shameless? Nah... You're sharing pictures of an achievement you've made. You did a very nice job! Thanks for sharing this with us.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
WOW Angie - that is amazing.

Too right you should come on here and show it off, I for one would be quite put out if you didn't :)

hoggie

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Wow! if I ever start to think I have done something wonderful, I will refer to those pictures. I can't fathom even looking at that much fabric and not getting depressed! And I love to sew!

I wish I could some and see the performance!

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I built/sewed all that at the ice rink in the conference room over a period of 2 months. They had 4 big desks pushed together as a conference table. That's where I made the black on 12 years ago.

If you click on any photo it will take you to the webshots albums showing the sewing of the curtain and the tree, and putting the lights on and hanging the curtain yesterday.

And thank you for the compliments.

Angie

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Wow! I'm challenged by curtains for my house! :bow: Feel free to toot your horn anytime; it reminds me to set loftier goals for myself. The tree is stunning.

Blue

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Wow! What an undertaking. You did great!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts