shady spot for piglets?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mamalisa, Mar 24, 2005.

1. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Ok, my first batch of piglets comes next week.

Since I have a lifelong history of last-minuting.......mostly due to a 40 hour work schedule and a daily almost 2 hour commute....do my piggies need a warm spot or just a shady spot? It is 45+ most nights here, with only occasional frost.

We are getting a good bit of rain....I was thinking of a hoop house deal with a tarp and a cattle panel?

They are on a slight hill so it has good drainage. I have half of a pressure tank for a feeder and another for water, unless y'all know something I don't. The rest of the stock drinks out of old bathtubs.

AND...will the same 16% all-grain I feed everything else work? I will be supplementing with garden truck, whey, skimmed and spoilt milk, and cheese failures......

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

As they grow you will need both. Piglets need warmth when the temps drop. They can pile and shiver if you have a a few but that uses calories and it doesn't work well for two or three- it doesn't work on concrete either. Lacking a warm spot, like a draft free shed, you can provide fresh straw or hay on dirt and they'll tunnel underneath. As the days grow warmer they will need shade also. They can't sweat. As the temps. rise they will do well if you give them a shady, wet spot to wallow in and get away from the heat. I believe 18% protein is recommended to start but frankly I can't remember for how long. I'm sure you can increase the protein in your feed with the supplements you mention. I tend to feed species specific rather than one feed for everyone. All I can say is look at the label and make sure what you're feeding to your pigs is what you will be comfortable putting in your bodies after butchering; unnecessary antibiotics and carcinogenic preservatives are common in multi purpose livestock feeds. Good luck with your piglets.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Just think of what you would want if you were naked living in the same pasture. From a comfort stanpoint that's pretty close

4. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

no, the 16% is just grain, in various forms, not even minerals. I have the appropriate minerals for each critter in their space....everything can eat the sheep minerals, so that is in the open, then the cow gets cow minerals in her stall, the chickens get oyster shell near their coop, etc..... It makes life quite easy and I only store one kind of food.

So I guess I'll do a three sided shed kind of thingy and put a board across the front to keep the deep straw in. I've planted trees outside the wire for shade and windbreak but they won't be big enough to help for a couple years.