shade for sheep or lambs

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Do sheep need shade? Are lambs more or less affected by the heat and sun than adult ewes. I have shade in all my pastures on 35 acres but now I can pasture a another piece of land and the shade is not so easily accessed. The plan was to pasture the lambs on this new piece and use 4 rolls of the electric netting to make a moveable corral to rotate throughout this field. The problem is there would not be shade. Is that a problem? I am in Northcentral Wisconsin.
    Thank you.
    Calvin

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I find my shorn ewes in the shade and the fuller fleeced critters in the sun. I would say that yes they would need shade (and water and salt of course!) so they have the option of gettign out of the suns rays. Would E Ontario be on the same longitude as you? Probably not far off. I'm lucky all my feilds have access to shade trees.

3. I really cant speak to the NEED for shade. I feel that they probably do, but dont know for certain. I can say that a portable shade that I used one year was to put several fence posts in the ground and make a hoop house with cattle panels arched between them covered with a tarp. It doesnt take long to put up or move.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I was thinking about it and we have used hay wagons as portable shade/rain protection. Just make sure it youtry somethign like this that there's now trap zones under the deck where a sheep or lamb can get seriously stuck. If you crank the tongue as far as it will go either way you can often close the gap between the tie rod and the front axle