sexing rabbits . . . I think I did it right!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GeorgiaberryM, Mar 26, 2006.

1. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

I looked at lots of pics and I can tell that two of my rabbits are the same and one is different lol! I am pretty sure I have two does, which I am very happy about - they will replace my breeding does and I already bought a new buck.

Question: how old are does when they get that pooch under the neck? I've been watching for that for confirmation. My little buns are 13 weeks old.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine seemed to develop the pouch (dewlap) around five months of age, as they approach sexual maturity. One way to confirm the sex of your rabbits is to check for nipples. Males don't have them. They may not be apparent at the age your does are at, but before they get sexually mature you will be able to feel them.

I trust you are keeping the young buck separate so that premature breeding cannot occur. Even at three months they may try. The litter will likely not survive and it can kill or damage the young doe.

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I think it is easier to look for testies on the bucks. They will pop out between the hip and thigh on both sides of his penis. (someone once told me their rabbit was a girl because it had boobs. It was a boy.:rolleyes:

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

yep ,, my daughter just got a pair of lop rabbits ,,

one you could see the bags/ sacks where his testicals would have been desended ,,

other rabbit , , no bags ,, but when I fliped it over and pressed down ,, sure enough another buck ,,

she asked me ,, do you need another buck I want to get a female ,,

Nooo!

:cute:

5. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

the sexing issue has become a big one for me. I recently picked up a male mini Dutch-- who acts even MORE male than my known intact mini Rex. A friend told me that 'sometimes' they can pull those little boy gonads in so far that you may never find them. I do believe, however, that I did feel another, smaller portion of the repoductive factory-- so maybe--if not-- he will have a long time home-- getting this guy healthy without a lot of expensive meds is a challenge!