Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do you sex your litters? Kits? and with what accuracy?

MoonKitten was able to sex two of my kits, but warned that she may be wrong. I looked at the two and was able to see what she saw, so from there went to sex the other three. They all look like girls to me but I have never sexed kits before and am thinking I am wrong. Will try again today.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I don't usually try much before four weeks, and only if someone really wants to know! Otherwise, when they're being sold (8 weeks and up).

Accuracy? Well, I'm getting better.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I check for the first time at 6 weeks when I wean them into separate cages. I'm probably about 80% accurate at that point. I double check again before I firm up any sales at 8-10 weeks. I have had a couple of those visited by the sex change fairy, but only a handful out of hundreds over the years. By 12 weeks I am about 99% accurate (I don't want to tempt the SCF with any overconfidence here... ;))

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rabbits are a complete guessing game. First what colour than what sex. And for those that breed, are they bred, then when will they be born.

I'm off to practise sexing my buck, Diego. He's three months old and loves attention. Or could it be the other way around.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Me...I start sexing at 2 weeks, and can usually do it.

I started out not knowing anything about sexing to being almost(stressed) perfect.

I got told ONE very good stradegie. If you see two red viens in the genitals, then it is a doe..if not its a buck. Saying this, i still look for the other signs..

I always re-sex them when the buyer is buying it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts